┉┈◈†𐐎𐍈◈┈┉

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Absolutely not."

The Captain had cut her explanation short.

Charlie frowned. "We've run tests, the air is breathable and from the scan we didn't see any dangerous life forms."

Captain Flores sighed, shaking her head. "There are certain protocols to follow. You've waited five years for this, you can wait a little longer. Help Eli ready eBots A and B."

"Yes, Captain."

Charlie took a deep breath after the Captain's bootsteps faded down the corridor. Alexandria was right, she knew she was, but it didn't make it any less frustrating. Funny how a huge spaceship could make her feel so claustrophobic.

She turned on her heel and made her way to the workshop where she knew she'd find Eli. And find him she did—his long blonde hair and work clothes completely disheveled; she nearly bumped into Mariah as the equally disheveled redhead made her way out of the room, throwing a smirk at Charlie. She didn't want to know. She knew. But she didn't want to.

She sighed as the door hissed closed behind her. Eli blushed and opened his mouth to speak as he hastily made himself more presentable but Charlie raised a hand, "Shut it. The Captain sent me to help you with the bots."

He seemed grateful she didn't want to talk about it. Eli cleared his throat. "Right, right," he said as he moved to a table that had two spherical machines situated on top of it. "These are the ones we'll be sending out."

She stopped him before he could continue, "First, sanitize–" she looked around at all the surfaces with a grimace, "–everything."

His blush came back full force and she had to hold back a laugh as he almost tripped over himself to swiftly complete the task. After everything was thoroughly sanitized to her standards, they ran tests on the exploration bots. When they were satisfied all systems were running smoothly and the bots were fully charged for the mission, they prepared them for launch.

Soon she, Eli, and the rest of the crew were in the command center. A few people were glued to the monitors with everyone peering over their shoulders to see, readying for the mission as the room was filled with excited chatter. Charlie stood behind Luca as he connected his monitor to one of the bots. They would see everything through it.

Chief Officer Malakai Cruz whispered something to Captain Alexandria and she nodded. She spoke, "PENDI, are you ready?"

┈ ⋞ "Yes, Captain." ⋟ ┈

"Good. Proceed."

Charlie's heart beat faster in anticipation as she gave the order. With a click of a button, the round, white bots were launched and dove towards the planet below. Her eyes remained fixed to Luca's screen. She never thought she'd feel jealous of an A.I. before, but considering PENDI would get to see the new world up close before her, she couldn't help the feeling.

The screen was white for a while as she assumed they were falling through the clouds. And then it became clear and her breath hitched. It was so beautiful, better than those grainy pictures she saw due to the advanced cameras built in. An alien forest blanketed the land, split by a curving river. The glittering waters lead to a waterfall cascading down a mossy cliff side.

Charlie closed her mouth as she realized it was agape. On the monitor she saw the view get closer to the bioluminescent forest—then into it—until the bot landed. Immediately the tests began.

PENDI took samples of the soil, the plants, and ran tests on a droplet of dew clinging to a softly glowing leaf. Charlie watched in fascination.

The bot rolled further through the foliage. It passed by a breathtaking patch of blue and purple flowers and she gasped softly at the bioluminescent beauty of them. The bot stopped.