┉┈◈𐍀𐍊𐍀𐌴◈┈┉

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Charlie managed to avoid the reptilian alien by doing various tasks around camp, as well as preparing for the journey to the underground city Irotak. The others had been informed of the plan and everyone decided to stay except Archie. She was glad he was coming along with them. It would be easier to ignore Tük'hala that way.

She leaned her weight against the side of the shuttle and groaned as her head fell back on the metal surface, dreading the upcoming trek with the alien now that his intentions were made perfectly clear. She was disappointed with herself for the heat that came to her face and body whenever the memory of the previous night's encounter flitted across her mind. How was she supposed to talk to him? What would she say?

Fuck you for gaslighting me and lying to my friends, you crusty-eyed bug licker.

Or perhaps:

Hey, I'm really mad at you about last night but I haven't wanted to talk about it although I can't stop thinking about it and I don't really know how I feel about what you did, I can't even begin to understand what exactly I feel about you or anything right now because some of the people I've gotten to know over the past five years died and more might be dead and oh! I can never go back home again!

She smacked a palm to her forehead. "Ugh!"

A few seconds later Eli opened the door and peeked outside, spotting her when he turned his head. "Did you say something?"

She breathed out a humorless laugh and removed her hand from her face. "Yeah. How much would I have to pay you to kill me?"

His brows raised. "What? Why would I do that?"

"Just for shits and giggles. How is the tinkering coming along?" she asked with an easy smile, pushing off of the side of the shuttle to fully face him.

The mechanic returned her smile. "It's coming along very well. I should be done in two days. Although..."

Charlie cocked her head inquisitively. "What?"

He clasped his hands together, excitement shining behind his eyes. "I was thinking maybe one of the other crash landed shuttles has this part intact. If we could get a replacement from the wreckage, then I could modify the one I'm making now to power a bionic arm for Frederick."

Charlie lit up, sharing in the excitement of the idea with a wide grin. "That would be so wonderful! He would love that, good thinking."

Eli beamed. "Yes I thought so, too. Right. I'll get to it then!"

Before he could close the door, she spoke up, "Hey Eli?"

He paused. "Yeah?"

"Do you think it's possible what happened with our ship was an accident?"

His gloved finger tapped on the metal frame a few times, brows furrowed. He shook his head finally, meeting her eyes again. "No, I don't."

That was all he said before the metal door closed with a groan and thunk.

Charlie stood there staring at nothing while the silence stretched. PENDI was responsible for what happened, wasn't he? He was at the very least responsible for killing the Captain—accidentally—and cutting off Luca's leg. She had no doubts about that.

Although it was unreasonable, she couldn't help but feel like she was responsible. PENDI did it because of her. Despite the disturbing things he'd said to her before, she didn't take it seriously. She was too careless.

Blaming herself wouldn't fix anything. All she could do was pick up the pieces and move forward. If only it were that easy.

She took a step towards the dome shelter when a sudden heat flared up in the side of her neck, making her gasp. Her hand flew up to the spot, alarmed. The feeling started to spread until she felt it in her whole body, burning through her veins with every racing beat of her heart. She fell to her knees, her lips parted on a silent cry of pain as her ears pounded and her vision swam.