8, Unalive

Ember

I don't remember falling asleep. I remember eating the food Warren had made and left, and I remember cuddling Pebbles on the couch. She had nudged my legs until I dropped her a piece of cheese and soon, she sat beside me waiting for more. It was a slow, quiet night and I only wondered when Warren would come back home. Was I safe to be left alone? After everything he said earlier I didn't think i'd ever be left alone. Eventually, I traveled back to the bedroom and curled under the covers. Everything smelt like him. Sandalwood and vanilla. It wrapped around me and soothed me. I don't remember falling asleep.

The bed dips at an ungodly hour of the night. Pebbles was no longer laying at my feet like she was when I fell asleep, but I heard her soft purrs from somewhere in the room. My back grew warm, hot, as he slid into bed behind me. Seconds passed, maybe minutes, and for a while I didn't think he'd say anything. Without realizing it, I shuffled closer to him - seeking for the warmth in this cold room. He places his hand on my back, drawing random designs with his fingers. I wanted to curl around the feeling and disappear with it forever. "Did I wake you?" He asks below his breath.

"Yes." I flutter my eyes open but I couldn't see anything, the room dark and quiet. "But i'm glad, I was worried about you. Why'd you leave?"

I hear the faintest of chuckles. "Didn't know you cared about me, little heart. I stepped out for a while to get things ready for the ceremony tomorrow." I wanted to ask him for the truth because for some reason I knew he had lied. It had to have been midnight when he left, no one in their right mind would be up planning for an event that late at night. Then again, maybe he was crazy. I had yet to know. "Are you okay?"

"I was left alone." I whisper. "I was a little worried..after being told i'm a target and then you-"

"You were guarded. I had two of my people stand guard out front when I left. I'd never leave you alone." He cuts me off, moving my hair from my neck. He shuffles closer to me. "Do you think i'm a fool? I'd protect you even in death, never doubt your importance to me." He snakes his hand around my waist, not saying another word. My chest ached and my body burned with awareness and desire. I fought against it, thinking I had to be going crazy to react so ridiculously to a stranger. SoulBond or not.

"I'm sorry."

He kisses the back of my neck, pulling me even closer to him so our bodies were flushed. All heat ran to my cheeks, to the pit of my stomach and traveled much lower. Bleed me dry. "Don't ever apologize to me, i've told you that before. Now, go back to sleep."

"I can't." I answer truthfully. "Not when-"

"I'm not letting you go, not tonight, not ever. So sleep or stay awake all night but i'm not going to lay in the same bed as mine and not touch her."

The next morning I woke up by myself, the other side of the bed cold and wrinkled. Obviously he woke up a while ago, but part of me wished he'd stay and hold me til I woke up. It took me a while to fall back asleep last night but eventually I did, to the sounds of his soft snoring and Pebbles purrs. I climb out of bed, his tee falling to my knees like a dress. I didn't realize it rode up to my stomach during the night.

I heard voices talking down the hall, a female and another male. I eased the bedroom door open, taking a cautious step into the hall. My bare feet were cold against the wood. "She's preparing the room, said to give her an hour." The unknown deep voice sounded rasped, tired and exhausted. "Does she know what's to come today?"