9, Ceremony

Ember

Inside the tower was surprisingly spacious compared to how small it looks on the outside. People lined the walls, shoulder to shoulder. They circled around us, where we stood in the center. There was a frail older woman, sitting at a chair in front of a tub of water. She pours what looks to be a sort of oil into the ceramic human bowl, humming at an odd frequency. It was almost intriguing to watch, almost. If I wasn't questioning why there was a tub, maybe i'd be more than happy to listen. The water and oil swirled together, a faint glow of pink and blue coming off the water like fog. It was as beautiful as it was nerve-wracking.

Warren squeezes my hand, sensing my distress. The woman begins tossing in herbs, but I was too far away to notice which ones. The frequency in her hum changes, deeper, faster. Why did I feel like I was signing away my life? The air was growing thicker and I couldn't tell if it was from my sudden panic or if it was because of whatever magic the old woman was preforming. How was she SunSide? All witches were banned to the UnderSide, or so I thought. Perhaps she was mated to someone up here, that'd be the only explanation.

The water began bubbling. The ground began to hum. I stumble into Warren's side, picking up my feet like the ground would eat me whole. Why? Why is it making that sound? He grabs my shoulders, keeping me still. He dips his head, his lips brushing against my earlobe. "Nothing will hurt you for as long as i'm here. No need to panic." I stifle a snort, wanting to argue. He couldn't stop the Earth from opening up and eating me.

"It is ready, let me see the girl." The woman's voice was brittle, like it'd shatter at any moment. Her boney finger gestures to me, and she beckons me forward. I freeze under everyone's attention, my limbs going cold. Warren rubs my shoulders, reassuring me. I fight against every muscle in my body that's telling me to run the hell out of here. I take the first step towards her, almost losing my balance as the ground shakes as it continues to hum. "We don't have all day." She snaps.

"Watch how you speak to her." Warren dares.

The old woman rolls her eyes but doesn't say anything more. I close the distance, my fingers trembling. Her gaze finds my neck, and lingers for a while. She grabs my hand forcefully, and I jump in shock - earning a sharp look from her. I avert my gaze to Warren who looks ready to ruin the entire ceremony. Deep down, I wish he does. Pain splinters my mind, a wet liquid dripping down my hand and drip drip drip. I go to cradle my arm, the sharp ache burning my entire body. She had cut me. A long gash across my wrist. "Bleed me dry," I curse.

"I just might." She warns, holding my hand above the pool of water. I widen my eyes as the water turns a dark gray, despite my blood running red. "Now step in." She instructs, dropping my arm. I swear I saw faint red marks where her fingers held me. Ignoring it, too afraid to cause a fuss, I step into the tub and submerge myself after she motions at me to sink. As I sit there, in the cold water with a bleeding wrist - an inhuman thrum comes from the tub. It shakes. The woman pays no mind, summoning Warren next. The tub could fit another three people easily, or so I thought. But when Warren holds his now bleeding wrist over the water before stepping in, I realize just how small it actually is.

He sinks in completely, his legs brushing mine and igniting a fire inside me. Itching and biting and crawling, burning under my skin. No, it wasn't because of him. I straighten my back, a whole new fear taking over my body. No, please. Not now. The water bubbles more, faster, recklessly. The tub shakes, water spilling out of the edges. It glows brighter as the woman begins to hum again, tracing her fingers along the surface of the water. My skin felt like it was trying to eat itself alive, my flesh was burning. My chest squeezed around my heart, my lungs and I gasped for air. No one noticed, save for Warren.