10, Her

Warren

When my mother died, my father snapped. I watched the life drain from his eyes when my mother took her last breath. It was a moment I knew i'd never forget. I think I was more affected by the look in his eye than I was about my mother's lifeless corpse. There was something glistening in his eyes, and it wasn't tears. It was pure, warranted evil. That very night he lit our house on fire with my mother's body and I in it, with not so much as a goodbye. Then he killed himself. It wasn't a quick death either. When I made it out of the house, my abilities finally appearing only to save my life, the village was in chaos. They were shouting, the King has died. The king has killed himself.

I expected to see a slit across his throat or a gunshot to his head. Those would have been a blessing compared to what was the reality.

In the couple minutes it took me to escape the burning house, he had torn himself apart. He had clawed at his own skin, ripping through his flesh and veins. When I saw his body, he still had skin and blood under his fingernails. He had bled himself out, and according to those who tried to stop him, all he did was cry my mother's name. That was the day I realized that losing a SoulBond was the worst pain someone could go through, mental and physical.

I thought about that night as I stared at Ember. She had dozed off on the couch, in one of my shirts and nothing but. She was breathtakingly beautiful, and I knew that the moment I saw her. She could light my soul on fire just by standing in the same room as me. Our soul. It was unlike anything i've ever felt, but to be truthful, I haven't felt a lot since my parent's death. It's been a rough, lonely last hundred years. There were times I wanted to fall into the same fate as my father, but looking at her, i'm glad I didn't.

Looking at her, I understood why my father did it. Because I knew, staring at her snoring with her mouth agape, that if anyone took her from me, I would split the world in half to get her back. Hell itself couldn't stand in between us, if it came down to saving the world or her - the world can go up in flames. I'd always choose her.