1.

"but, I just wanted to become a doctor, not somebody's wife

"but, I just wanted to become a doctor, not somebody's wife."

~ Meera

Ek jhooth, ek sach, ek dhokha, ek khat!

MEERA'S POV

This is not how I had planned my wedding day. It wasn't supposed to be this way. Actually, I had never planned or even thought about this day. Even if I could have planned it, It was surely not going to be like this. Twenty-one? Is that the age I'm supposed to be married off?

Just when I was drowning in the ocean of thoughts. My mom's voice pulled me out of that ocean,"Meera! Are you ready?"

In response I stood from my seat. As she was coming close to me she was saying,"ahh! you look lovely as always" Just then she scraped kajal from the corner of her eyes and applied it on the side of my neck.

"Najar na lage meri pari nu. Ab chale? Everybody is waiting for us"

I glanced at my face in a wall-sized mirror one last time before leaving. Just before I entered, she veiled me-a tradition in our family. The bride walks down the aisle veiled, and the groom unveils her.

Walking down the aisle, I could feel the weight of people's stares on me, except for his. He is the least interested in this marriage, just like I was. Neither of us desired this union, yet here we stood-me, walking down the aisle...him, standing at its very end.

As I stood in front of him, he lifted my veil and looked right into my eyes. He might have seen resentment. And all I saw was-nothing. No emotion, not even an ounce of happiness, absolutely nothing.

As the garland ceremony happened I could feel the fragrance of Jasmine was choking me up. And the fire in the mandap was not only igniting the ghee but also my dreams.

I wanted to become a doctor. This was my dream since I was a kid. I was preparing for the entrance exam and one fine day my mom called me and my life turned upside down. I have always been very shy, calm, obedient and an introvert person. So, whatever they asked I did.

Pandit ji was chanting mantras. But I could hear nothing. I felt as if something is choking my neck causing difficulty to breath. It was garlands. These Jasmin garlands supposed emblems of joy, felt heavy around my neck, mirroring the weight of the sacrifice draped across my shoulders.

This diamond necklace around my neck felt like a rope killing me and my dreams. This wedding felt like a betrayal. Betrayal to my cousin sister, Heer. She will hate me for getting married to this man. Her ex-husband.

Two years ago she got married to Dr.Viraat Malhotra. He was a neurosurgeon by profession. And she was a psychologist. A perfect match made in heaven. Right? Wrong!