9

Meera's Pov

There was silence in the room. I expected him to shout at me, show me some anger, and maybe slap me as he did to her but what I didn't expect was for him to hold my hand more firmly.

Tears stung my eyes and I pushed him away from me, "Keep your dirty hands off of me. You are such a pathetic human. I curse you die of the same pain you caused my sister. I hate you. I hate you for ruining her life. You destroyed her completely."

Something flickered in his eyes. My words did something to him because I saw emotions. I have been living with him for so long and this is the first time I saw emotions in his eyes.

His gaze met mine, "Stay Meera" he repeated his words. His eyes welled up.

"Don't leave me. Please! I beg you," he sat on his knees still holding onto my hand.

I wanted to leave but I just couldn't. I stood there frozen.

He spoke with a crack in his voice, "I didn't do anything. I loved her with all my heart. I loved her so much that it destroyed me completely. That love killed me like a slow poison."

Flashback

Virat's Pov

It was raining outside and I was standing next to the window looking at a stormy night. I wore a white shirt and my sleeves were curled up.

The air hung heavy in our apartment, the silence broken only by the rhythmic tick of the clock.

Tonight was our anniversary and I planned a surprise for her. Clutching the velvet box behind my back I turned to look at the room once more to make sure everything was perfect.

The lights were dimmed, casting the room in a soft, golden glow on the polished marble floors. The air was thick with the scent of lilies, her favorite. In the center stood my surprise draped in a luxurious velvet cloth – a grand piano, gleaming ebony under the soft light. It had taken weeks of planning, convincing the movers to get it up here, but seeing it all come together, a nervous thrill hummed through me.

I remember Heer used to play beautifully, her fingers dancing across the keys, weaving stories without words. Maybe, just maybe, this would reignite a spark in her eyes, a flicker of the woman I fell in love with all those years ago.

My heart hammered a frantic rhythm against my ribs as I heard the familiar click of the lock. I turned to look in that direction and there she stood.

Heer.

Her clothes were not in the best condition. She looked tired from the hospital work I suppose. The smile I practiced in the mirror evaporated.

"Heer!" I called out. "Surprise!"