Confusion

A month passed as Francesco and Claudia stayed at the villa. During that time, a doctor visited the villa every week to assess the boy's recovery. Despite the success of the operation and his wound healing correctly, Francesco had developed hoarseness. The doctor said there was nothing his team could do, as the hoarseness was caused by damage to a vocal cord and would likely remain for life.

"What about the scar, will it fade?" Claudia asked.

"The scar will remain, but will gradually shrink and get lighter as he ages."

Clauidia broke into a round of tears.

"Nonna, it's fine. I don't mind." Francesco reassured. His voice came out as a raspy whisper, occasionally gravelly or dropping. They were proof of his power, and Luciano would never forget.

Still, Claudia was worried the boy would be depressed and arranged for a psychiatrist to meet with him. The woman was confident she knew what was wrong with him after putting the boy through a series of tests and questionnaires.

"He is depressed. It is evident in how withdrawn he's become, which is normal after experiencing such an ordeal. It's important to give him positive reinforcement and remind him that it was not his fault. That accidents happen, and we have no control over them." She said to Claudia as she handed over a prescription for sleeping pills. "If he has trouble falling or staying asleep, these will help him relax."

The woman turned to the boy, taking his hands in her own. "Francesco, it's okay to be afraid; that was a scary encounter for you. I want you to know that you are still handsome with your scar. And don't worry about your voice; girls will find it part of your attractive charm."

What?

After the psychiatrist left, Francesco sat his grandmother down for a serious talk.

"Nonna, I'm fine. I'm not depressed or afraid. If anything, I feel free."

"How can you be fine? You almost died. Why would you do something like that?"

"To see mom." He said sadly.

"You could have talked to me."

"Could you have helped me get away from him if I hadn't?"

Silence met his question. Claudia was fraught with regret. Try as she did, she could not answer the boy's question honestly.

"...Did you speak to dad?"

"No... The phone lines are disconnected, and my emails remain unanswered."

The boy reminded his grandmother that even with her help, he still needed his passport to leave the country. And Luciano was the one in possession of it. Claudia nodded absently as she pondered his words.

That night, Francesco pulled his tablet and searched for 'Jordahl Architecture'. Apart from the old news articles, the website and social media accounts were all gone. It was like the company didn't exist.

Panic filled Francesco's chest. He only knew Logan's firm name and office location. He still knew nothing about Aurora or how to contact her directly. He didn't even know anyone who knew how to contact her.

I'm still powerless!

Again, the boy frantically searched his tablet. The house was for sale and under offer. What had happened?