chapter 9

ALORA WAS A TRUSTING PERSON but when it came to Medusa, well that was different. Over the years Alora had heard many versions of her story and didn't think it was safe for Annabeth, whose mother cursed the woman, was safe there.

When the group walked in they were met with a table full of treats. Alora could feel her stomach growling at the sight of it.

"You must be hungry." Medusas voice came from the other room, making Alora jump. Percy set a hand on her arm and she looked at the boy. They held eye contact awkwardly, not having spoke since before Alora snapped. Percy pulled his hand away as Alora turned to look at the table. "I left snacks on the table while I get something proper going."

Percy, Alora and Grover all inched closer to the table slowly, unsure if the woman wanted to poison them or not.

"You think it's safe to eat?" Percy whispered so that she couldn't hear.

"Percy, I'm not going to lie to you, i'm really hungry and i'm ready to take that chance." Grover said, staring down at the platters of treats.

"Of course you are." Alora laughed under her breath as the bell of the door chimed. They watched as Annabeth walked in.

"Thanks for coming." Percy said, trying to ease some of the tension between them all.

"This isn't the same for me as it is for you."Annabeth said, confusing percy.

"Why?"

"You're concerned I would hold a grudge against you simply because you are a daughter of Athena?" Medusa asked sweetly as she walked into the room. The group all dropped their heads and Alora instinctively moved closer to Percy. "You shouldn't be. We're not our parents after all. And you and I might have more in common than you think."

The group all stood still, avoiding medusas gaze.

"Please, sit and eat."

Alora looked at Annabeth who only shook her head at her, telling her not to sit. Percy pulled out the chair beside him and grover, looking towards her.

"Ally," he spoke softly, she knew he was asking her to sit down. Alora looked between him and Annabeth, not knowing what to do.

"Don't be shy Alora darling," Medusa told her. She gulped before sitting down in fear of something happening if she didn't.

"So if you're not a monster, what are you then?" Percy asked as Alora looked at the food suspiciously. Her stomach was growling loudly but she didn't know how much she trusted the food. Grover beside her was stuffing his face already. She looked to Annabeth to see her opinion on it but the girl was stood with her arms crossed angrily.

"A survivor."

"You must be a little more than that." Percy put a little food onto his plate. "There's a fury out there that seems terrified of you."

Alora grabbed a cookie from the table, breaking it open and sniffing at it carefully. Slowly she took a bite of it. It was good. Really good. She slapped Grovers arm with wide eyes before pointing towards the cookie and holding up a thumbs up to which the satyr nodded quickly in agreement.

"Because she knows what I think of her." Medusa answered while Alora began to eat some of the fruit set around her. "I don't like bullies. When one shows up on my doorstep, they end up spending a lot more time there than they planned for. The gift the gods gave me is that i cannot be bullied anymore."

"What my mother did to you wasn't a gift, it was a curse." Annabeth snapped quickly to defend her mother. Alora slowed down in her eating, knowing Annabeth could get them killed if she kept using that tone with medusa.