chapter 10

ALORA HAD NEVER LIKED ANYONE BEFORE. She didn't know what to do with the discovery of her liking Percy so like usual, she kept it to herself.

When he came back in they went downstairs again in silence. Alora didn't know what to say now. Her heart was going at a speed she didn't know it was capable of with him being so close.

They got back to Annabeth and Grover, who was standing in front of a satyr turned to stone and Grover had tears in his eyes.

"What is it?" Alora asked, feeling like she already knew the answer.

"Uncle Ferdinand." Was all grover said.

Alora stood beside him and put an arm around his shoulder, not knowing what to say. Touch was always her favourite love language.

"I'm so sorry Grover."

"oh no."

"This is as far as he got on his quest." Grover admitted upset, not taking his eyes off his uncle. "We aren't even to Trenton. But look at him. He's not like the others.. He doesn't look afraid."

Alora rubbed his arm in attempt to comfort him, as he cleared his throat.

"You used the, um, you used the head to get rid of Alecto?" He turned to the girl.

"Yeah, Perce did." She nodded and she could see Percys small smile at the nickname. Her stomach did a backflip.

"Good." Grover nodded, still looking at his uncle. "That was the right move. We probably should get going, it'll be dark soon."

He wiped his eyes of the tears but Alora couldn't take her eyes off the statue in front of them. How were they meant to go any further in their quest when they were fighting like they were? It made them all feel separated, alone. Nobody would be able to do this alone.

"What should we do with the head?" Percy asked, gesturing to where he set it. "I just took down a fury with it, and I wasn't even trying. We can't just leave it here for someone to find. Leave the hat on and bury it in the basement, that oughta keep it safe."

They all looked towards Annabeth, considering it was her hat. Alora knew that she wouldn't want to leave it behind, it was the only thing she had to connect her to her mother.

"Sure," Annabeth agreed, making grover and Alora share a look of confusion. "Now can we talk about the bigger issue here?"

There it is, Alora thought.

"What bigger issue?" Percy asked, shifting nervously on his feet.

"You could have saved your mother." Annabeth repeated medusas words, walking away from the statue. "That's what she said to you, like you already discussed it. Is your mother still alive?"

"She's with Hades." Percy admitted. "But I appreciate your concern."

"Guys, just please stop." Grover pleaded, sick of hearing them argue all day.

"Oh, I'm concerned." Annabeth ignored him. "What are you actually doing on this quest? And why did i have to hear about this from Medusa?"

"Seriously, the both of you stop." Alora warned them, about to go crazy at their fighting.

"Well I don't see you saying any of this to Ally." Percy ignored her but turned it to her now, his face softening slightly. "You should've accepted my offer? What was Alecto talking about?"

"Enough!" Grover shouted and they all turned to look at him. Alora was thankful he stepped in because she did not know what to say. "The hat was a gift from her mother. It's the only thing she's ever possessed that connects them. That oughta matter to you."