chapter 5

–Alita–

“Get out.”

“Miss Asmora please just listen to what we have to say–” the man before me pleaded.

“I said– get out!” I repeated, balling my fists. 

The two men before me dared to come to my quarters, my home in an attempt to talk me into whatever sick plan they came up with…

I'm having none of it.

One of the two men wearing a lab coat cleared his throat and stepped forward to speak. “Miss Asmora what do you plan to accomplish!? You truly don't seem to understand the weight of your situation! I am only trying to help you. The chances of you keeping that child alive without the research head’s support are practically non-existent.”

“You may have many supporters but you and I both know most of them will not support allowing this…thing, to become part of the krosa society. With our help we can convince the council to at least allow the child to live under supervision, perhaps even enable you to be there for most of its development! You won't have to lift a finger either, being a single mother is hard enough as is, how could you possibly raise a creature that no one understands on your own–”

 All three of our heads turned as the front door opened. “Enough!” a stern voice spoke up. 

Relief washed over me at the sight of Varin and Zena with her security team. Zena stomped inside giving a death glare to both the doctor and scientist In the room as her guards moved to either side of the room. 

“I believe the Mrs, asked you to leave.” Zena spoke up, crossing her arms.

The scientist wearing the lab coat tsked before turning back towards me.

“I have zero interest in obtaining your aid with the situation at hand. The science department has no rule over civilian affairs and I will not have my baby be brought into this world just to be raised in a lab, being poked at and prodded like a science experiment. And don't think I'm unaware of the things your people have done here on krosa and xanadis ‘in the name of science’. Had it not been for you, the penal colony would not have lasted as long as it did and we would not be here right now. I also know that there are a number of shady things going on within the science department that I refuse to condone. There's a reason your funding and support was cut short early on in krosas reformation.” 

Stepping over to the desk across from me I opened a drawer and pulled out the notebook from my Exile. “You want research and information from xanadis?” I tossed the booklet to the man's feet, startling him. Hesitantly he picked It up Easily recognizing the flimsy cloth bound notepad. 

“Here's your info. pictures depicting various plants and creatures, entries on xandisian culture, notes on surviving amidst hostile wildlife. All of my experiences are in that book. Take it and leave, because that is the only thing you will be getting from me.” 

The scientist's once smug demeanor turned to that of anger but he didn't say another word. Book in hand he turned and walked out the door, leaving the doctor behind to stand there awkwardly.

With a sigh the doctor gave me an apologetic look. “I'm sorry Miss, I am not here to add more pressure to your decisions or make this any harder. As a doctor it is my duty to take care of your needs. That being said I will not suggest anything if It held no proper standing with the situation. It will be your choice what you Decide to do, and I shall support it any way I can. But please keep in mind that you have different options… I understand your reluctance to take the science departments help but they may very well be your best chance for keeping the child.”