chapter 10

–Alita– 

Snuggling further into my bed I couldn't help but smile a little bit and relax further into the soft warmth of it. It felt like it had been far too long since I felt so safe and content in my sleep. 

I knew all too well why I felt this Way as well, why my environment seemed so different and comfortable…

Opening my eyes i Found myself being held protectively against another's chest. His chest…Azriel. strong arms were carefully wrapped around my frame, cradling me into his warm body. It felt like it had been forever since he last held me.

Closing my eyes once more I snuggled further against him, resting my head against his chest. I listened to his steady heartbeat thrusting against his chest while his fingers combed through my hair. 

“Did I wake you?” Azriel Finally spoke up.

“No…” I Mumbled back. 

“Then is it alright for me to finish?” He questioned. Confused, I looked up tiredly to see him gazing at me strangely. He didn't look like he had slept the Entire night. 

“Your hair, I was braiding it again– if that is alright?” He asked with a tinge of uncertainty.

He was replacing my braid? The weight of that action alone was enough to bring tears to my eyes. I wrapped my arms tightly around Azriel as a choked sob escaped me and I cried into his chest.

He held me tightly against him, rubbing my back and petting my head for a moment. “Alita, please, Look at me.” He cupped my face and lifted my chin so that I would look at him as he wiped away my tears with his thumb. “Why do you shed tears?” 

Leaning into his touch I placed my hands over his and took a deep breath to calm myself. “I'm sorry, I don't mean to worry you, I just… I can't believe you're really here, that I'm here– it feels like a dream.”

“Yes, you've returned to me. You are lying within my arms upon my furs, within our home. It is no simple dream. There's no reason to fear such.” He assured while nuzzling my head. “You are safe.”

I smiled and closed my eyes, relishing in his comfort as we laid there. “Thank you.”

He was silent for a moment, contemplating something in his head. 

“Alita” he cupped my face with both hands, and his tone changed to a much sterner one. “Did they hurt you?” 

My eyes snapped open and I looked at Azriel surprised by the question. His gaze was one I knew all too well. This wasn't some simple matter to be discussed Or talked about, right now he was demanding an answer. Yes or no.

Uncertainty was crawling Down my back as I looked back into these silver pools before me. Squeezing his hand I told him exactly what he needed to hear. “No” 

This answer seemed to surprise him as he looked at me for any signs of deception. But I kept my answer guarded with a sad smile and tight embrace as I pulled him closer once more. “No one hurt me Azriel, I'm okay it's just the hormones making me cry.” 

His arms wrapped around me once more and he seemed to relax as he puzzled the top of my head with his nose. “if what you say is true then… you truly are with a kit.” He spoke softly, seeming to finally come to term with the notion.

I nodded while squeezing him tighter. I can't begin to imagine what thoughts could be running through his mind. I had only experienced the separation for a few weeks, for him? It was the full 3 months.

Those few weeks were enough to solidify the thought that I may never see him again. It worries me to think how hard it must've been for him in the past months.