chapter 7

—Alita—

“You can't do this! This goes against the saw set in place–” the head Scientist shouted.

“The law states that no one is permitted to step foot upon the word of xanadis unless given access by the counsel Themselves. This drop is for the betterment of krosa as a whole.” the admiral stated plainly.

“betterment of krosa?! How is throwing out  a woman who carries a life changing specimen, a new form of evolution going to help us!? The director will not all–”

“the director is not here.” The admiral cut him off once more. The cold glare he gave the head Scientist was enough to make anyone nervous, especially the one it was directed at. “The director of science is not present here on krosa, he does not have the ability to assess the state of our colony nor the power to decide what would be best for us. 

“This decision was approved by the counsel because not only does it solve the issue of any kind of potential danger that Miss Asmora’s child may create but it also gives your department a chance at obtaining more information on xanadis as a whole. I suggest you relent in your useless banter and treat the young lady with more respect, as the krosian envoy she is now in control of what information is shared between the planet, its inhabitants, and krosa.”

The scientist stammered Looking between the admiral and me but I showed no signs of hesitancy or weakness. He no longer held any control or power over us. “You will regret this decision.” With that he angrily turned away and stomped off.

“Good riddance, even in the courtroom while trying to convince the counsel he was clinging to scraps, why is he so desperate to get ahold of an infant that hasn't even been born yet?” Zena spoke up.

“It doesn't matter now, he and his  people won't be able to touch us now.” I took a breath of relief. ‘It's over now… we're safe.

"Alita, are you sure about this? This is too sudden, if we wait a few days we can prepare better and have a ship take you down–” varin voiced.

I smiled and grabbed his hands with my own. “I'm sure, and I'm more than ready. Staying here any longer will only cause more problems and who's to say the counsel won't revoke their decision or someone doesn't try to sabotage This? It's the only way…” 

“She's right. If we try to prolong this and take time to prepare there's surely going to be those who will attempt to stop us. Anything from sabotaging the ship's to sparking Incidents that could delay this further. The drop pod is the quickest and most effective way without risking any kind of terrorist attacks.” Zena mused off to the side.

“I know it's just…” varins voice trailed off as he looked away. 

Squeezing his hand reassuringly he turned to look back at me as I smiled. “It's okay, I have everything I need I'll be able to call you if there's ever any trouble and I'll keep you updated with everything. I have all the medicine and stuff I'll need. More importantly, I have people who can protect me.”

Varin was silent for a moment as he looked in my eyes after a moment he sighed in defeat and pulled me into a hug. “Just be safe, okay?”

I patted his back with a chuckle while returning the hug. “I will, I promise.”

“Miss Asmora, it's time.” I looked back to the admiral and gave him a nod as he stood by the ship waiting for me. 

Facing varin once more I could see the concern in his eyes still. He pulled out a familiar device and placed it in my hand. “this is the map of the surrounding area, it's been updated with all the information we know including where the tribe is, you should be able to find your way back if you follow it.”