The Love Square {19}

***Ant’s POV***

                The doorbell rang and I rolled over and got off of my bed. I went out and downstairs, pulling the door open.

                “Colin!” I said in complete shock.

                “I need to talk to you,” he said. His face was pale and his hands were shaking violently.

                I nodded and stepped aside, letting him into my house. I led him up to my bedroom and locked the door so that my crazy mother wouldn’t come wandering in.

                “Ant, I l-l-l…” He trailed off and dropped his head.

                “Like me?” I offered.

                He nodded.

                “FINALLY!” I shouted, throwing my fist into the air. I laughed and wrapped my arms around Colin, surprising him.

                He weakly put his arms around me. “I’m so sorry I ever hurt you and said all that bad stuff to you. But I’m so scared and confused right now,” he whispered.

                “I know,” I said, offering him a comforting smile.

                I sighed and released him, putting an arm around his waist. “I know you’re scared Colin. I know you were raised to believe that homosexuality is wrong. But it’s not. I promise it’s not. I know you’re going to be tense and awkward about all of this for a while. It’ll take time for you to fully accept everything. But I’m willing to wait and help you. I love you Colin Archer.”

                “Did your dad know you were gay, Ant?” he asked.

                I shook my head. “No. He never knew,” I said, dropping my gaze.

                “Ant…why don’t you have a dad?” he asked.

                I had never told anybody about my dad. I had refused to talk about, even with my mom. She had wanted to hire me a therapist, but I had assured her that she would only be wasting her money.

                “He picked me up from school one day. He was going to take me to a dentist appointment. There was a…There was a bus driver who hadn’t been paying attention. He had been texting, and ran a stop sign. He hit our car. My dad died on the way to the hospital,” I said quietly, my eyes watering at the memory. “I had just turned 12. That’s why I had a limp when you met me. I shattered my leg. Had to get surgery on it. That’s also why I have a scar on my face. The windshield shattered and cut my face.”

                “That’s why you were afraid of school busses. Everyone always made fun of you because you’d cry whenever you saw one, and you were too terrified to get on one. They didn’t know,” Colin said slowly. “No one did.”

                “Zane only knows because his mom’s a paramedic. She’s the one who pulled my dad out of the car,” I mumbled. “But Zane and I didn’t become friends until we were 14 years old. And he didn’t know about the crash when we became friends. His mom told him later.”

                I wiped at my eyes as I started to silently cry. It always hurt to think about my dad. I had loved him so much. He had been my best friend.