The Love Square {24}

“Ant, come on. You’re going to be late for school,” mom said, peeking her head into my bedroom.

                I pulled my shirt on and slung my backpack over my shoulder, feeling exhausted. I had stayed up all night trying to figure out what to do about my homophobe situation.

                “Yea, sorry. Bye mom,” I said, moving to leave my bedroom.

                She shoved me back into my room and raised an eyebrow at me. “Anthony, you look like a hobo. At least change out of your pajama pants before you go to school.”

                I looked down at myself and groaned, realizing that not only did I have my pajama pants on, but they were on backwards. Great. I had only been up for twenty minutes, and today already sucked.

                “Are you alright Ant?” mom asked in concern as she watched me grab a pair of jeans.

                I pulled my pajama pants off, leaving myself in just my boxers. I nodded at my mom as I slipped into my jeans, making sure they were on the right way.

                “Yea mom. I’m just a little tired,” I said.

                “Ant, you know you can talk to me about anything,” she said, reaching out and brushing my hair out of my face. She gently stroked my cheek, her eyes watering. “Oh, I wish your f-f-father was here. He always knew how to talk to you when you were upset. I can tell something is upsetting you Ant.”

                “I don’t want to talk about dad!” I cried, shoving past her and hurrying out of the house.

                I got in my car and pulled out of the driveway, taking off towards the school. I took a deep breath to calm myself down. I had to get control of myself. I couldn’t let my mom know I was upset. It would worry her, and I didn’t want to do that to her. It was selfish of me, and it wasn’t fair to my mom.

                I parked and got out of my car, making sure I locked it. I went up the hill and into the school, not bothering to look for Zane as I went down the hallway to my locker.

                I froze in terror as I neared my locker, suddenly wishing I had found Zane before coming down here. I gulped and forced myself to walk towards my locker again.

                Vance was watching me from across the hallway. He nudged Jake, who looked over and smirked. They both flicked their gaze to Collie, who had his back turned to them.

                They looked back at me, and the threat was potent in their eyes. I was to stay away from the Archer twins, or Zane and Collie would pay dearly for it.

                I turned to my locker and opened it, beginning to exchange my stuff. I forced myself not to look over at Vance and Jake. I didn’t want them to know how terrified I truly was. I was glad that Drew wasn’t anywhere in sight right now.

                A hand fell on my shoulder and I let out a strangled noise, spinning around in fear. I had been expecting to see Vance and Jake, but instead, it was just Collie.

                “What was up with you yesterday?” he asked, trying to sound casual. But I could see the hurt hidden in his eyes.

                I stood up and shut my locker. “Leave me alone Collie. I told you to leave me alone,” I said. I looked over and saw Vance and Jake shooting me those threatening looks again. I brought my gaze back to Collie and forced a glare. I had to keep reminding myself that this was protecting him and Zane.