Prologue

I was on the balcony overlooking an extravagant ballroom. The lights were dimmed and flashing in colors like a club. Reflecting off skin creating blue and purple patterns across bodies below me. Everything was shiny and new. The bass shook the windows and the glass on the chandeliers. The women dripped with sex and the men with money. Powerful auras were here. An unmated Alpha's playground.

I was wearing a silky black gown, a strappy V-neck with a tight silhouette. The back opened all the way to my hips. The dress was completely covered in silver crystals. It looked like stars on the night sky. I had high heels on and could actually walk in them. My hair was curled down my back and a crown sat in my hair. I could see my reflection in the mirrored walls on the balcony. The room looked to be taken out of some swanky European castle turned night club. 

I stepped toward the balcony's edge to better see the room below. I looked around the room, feeling someone's eyes watching me. Like a magnet, I was pulled straight to them: the bluest eyes I had ever seen pulled me into their depths. The pupils dilated, taking me in.  Electric blue eyes shocked me with their intensity. The hair on my arms stood on end.

A voice sounded clearly through the bass of the music and crowded room below. "Be careful, love. You might drool on your pretty dress." I looked away from the electrified pools to search for the source of the voice behind me, but there was no one there. Just the sensual music that blared from speakers in the walls. I looked back on the floor below and no longer saw the magnetic eyes.  

I made my way down the stairs on my own. Alone. In a crowded room. As always, I'll find my way through and out of this mess, I thought. I was pushed tightly between two groups of people dancing and laughing, and I closed my eyes. I hated feeling claustrophobic. I needed out of there.  

I felt a hand touch the small of my back and then my arm, pulling me out of the crowd. Tingles danced across my skin giving me goosebumps. Magnetic. Electric. The energy this touch gave coursed across my skin cells. Just like the eyes.

Curious, I looked back over my shoulder to see an arm connected to that hand. A white shirt with rolled up sleeves and a couple of unbuttoned buttons at the neck, revealed a muscled chest. His neck muscles were prominent. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down with a nervous swallow.  His jawline could cut stone. His lips full and plump, soft like a rabbit, I bet. For a moment, I wanted to sink my teeth into them, but I refrained. His nose was straight with a slightly curved, rounded tip. Cute, I thought, his face and body are like marble, but his nose makes him sweet. 

I ventured up to his thick eyebrows. They were perfectly arched and groomed. He put my white invisible eyebrows to shame. His jet black hair shone like my dress in whatever colors the club lights were flashing. Purple. Blue. Red. Some of the ends fell over his eyebrows like he had been dancing and knocked some pieces loose. 

His eyes were last. The pupils blown out in dilation. The blue a small ring around the edge of the darkness. Maybe he was on drugs. "Hello." He managed. His lips moved softly. Too close to my face. I felt a tug in my chest, but I ignored it.  I turned to leave. If this were anything but a dream, I would have broken his fingers for touching my skin like that. 

"Wait. Don't go!" The voice sounded anxious. He followed me to the edge of the room near the windows. I had to be closer to the exit, but I couldn't see a sign. "What's your name, love?" I pursed my lips together. It was always the same in every dream. I hadn't answered him yet. 

I continued looking for the exit through the crowd of sweaty bodies. "I'll call you Star then." He smirked. I looked back at his face, annoyed at this guy who wouldn't leave me alone. It was an extremely attractive expression: he had a slight dimple on the left cheek when he did that. I turned away from him. I've had this same dream for months or years even. I wanted to see more of this place, and the dialogue grew tiresome. I needed to find a way out before the end.