Chapter 12 : Qubool Hai

Qubool Hai

"Do you, Imani Malik, daughter of Hamdaan Malik, accept Zaviyaar Mahad Khan, son of Altamash Mahir Khan, as your lawfully wedded husband?"

The Maulvi's question hung in the silent room as I tried to get my voice to cooperate. My elevated heartbeat was causing too much blood to rush to my head. My head was spinning and my ears were ringing as the most important question of tonight was asked.

Upon hearing no response, the Maulvi asked the question again. I felt Mama squeeze my hand, her eyes begging me to respond.

"Qu-Qubool hai." I stuttered out. (I accept.)

—--------------------------------------------------

** Author's Note **

'Qubool Hai' is pronounced as 'Coo-bool hay'

** Author Note End **

—--------------------------------------------------

He asked again and this time, I didn't give me any time to get scared and responded, "Qubool hai."

And then a third time, he asked me the same question. This time, I stopped as I told myself exactly what my answer would entail : Zaviyaar's wife...

The prospect of Zaviyaar's wife terrified me. What if he's exactly as the media portrayed him? What if he hates me? He must be angry as it is because of this forced marriage. What if he hits me?!

I could feel my body about to start hyperventilating when I saw Baba standing beside me. It felt like time froze as I remembered why I agreed in the first place - for him. I would never let anyone harm him, not when I can protect him.

I raised my hand to hold his tightly before sealing my feat,"Qubool hai."

The Nikkah document was forwarded for me to sign and as soon as I did, everyone went over to Zaviyaar's side to get his signatures

The Nikkah document was forwarded for me to sign and as soon as I did, everyone went over to Zaviyaar's side to get his signatures. Part of me wished he would say no, that he would refuse in front of everyone. This way, no blame would fall on the Malik's.

But when I heard cheers from outside, I knew it was done, he had said yes... Congratulations broke out across the room, people hugging and making prayers. Baba refused to leave my side as he kept a hand on my shoulder.

At that moment, my body stopped shaking as reality sunk in. I am a married woman now, Mrs. Imani Zaviyaar Khan.

"Imani, my beautiful daughter. May you always be happy." Mother exclaimed as she hugged me gently, careful not to mess up anything.

I gave her a small smile before looking up at Baba. I'm sure my eyes were filled with desperation as I waited for his blessings. Please, Baba... don't cry.

Seeing the tears in my strong Baba's eyes, my own eyes filled up. With his clogged throat, he only managed to put his hand on my head as he whispered, "I wish you a lifetime of security and happiness."