Y2V4.5: Fortune Telling

From the 4th of August, events had sprawled around the ship like the tasks on the island. I didn't go to any yesterday, rather just wanting to take it easy and relax, but as my eyes scanned over the events listed, a few caught my eye.

"A live-stage play of A New Hope, huh?" I muttered.

Kei eyed me speculatively, "Kiyotaka... no."

"But-"

"Kiyotaka, it's filled out already. Also, stage plays of movies are usually garbage, we should go do 'this' instead," Kei said, shoving the brochure in my face with her finger pointed at one particular event.

"An escape room? Is that some sort of puzzle?"

Kei nodded rapidly, "Mhm. You're locked in a room and need to use the clues to get out. I've always wanted to try it, so pleeeease?"

It's certainly not a boring event. However, my eyes were drawn to a different one.

"What about fortune telling?" I asked her.

A scowl formed on her face, "What? No! That's all fake and stuff. The lines on my hand can't prove that I'm going to be successful or not, that's just stupid."

"But you did it last year, though, right?"

"Well, yeah, but that was only because it was a couple-based activity and I needed to keep up appearances."

I see. It seems like she didn't have a good time.

"Did you get a bad fortune?"

Kei averted her eyes, "W-well, it just said that I'd... Never be a movie star."

"Is that an aspiration of yours?"

"No, but, like, it's annoying to say that I 'couldn't' be one. Like, I'm awesome, you don't know that I don't have what it takes!"

"So you were annoyed that she suggested you couldn't be one, but at the same time, you don't have any desire to be one."

"Exactly."

"..."

"What?"

I sighed, "Is that the only reason you don't like fortune-telling?"

She shook her head, "No, I still just think it's stupid. My mom was always so obsessed and talked to me about it every day, and it was just really annoying. That's probably why I really hate that stuff."

Hmm, I guess that's understandable. Forcing people to get into things you like is rather frustrating. Whether it be movies, TV shows, or types of food, it can be troubling.

But still, I was curious about something.

"This time it's a single-person thing. How about if you go, then I'll do the escape room with you?"

Kei's eyes met mine, a small flicker of opportunity within them.

"Deal!"

* * *

I stood in line for the fortune telling, Kei arriving a minute after I did. It was necessary so people didn't make the assumption we were already together and decided to go here.

I looked forward in the line, not finding Ibuki present. Well, I guess someone like her probably went already. It's here all week at 3 different time blocks, it wouldn't be that crowded.

Now that it's the second day, lines in general are shorter. I guess the early craze seems to have worn off and people are spread around, which is good for me.

"Why are you doing fortune telling, Ayanokouji?" Kei asked me, making sure to use my surname.

My thoughts drifted back to one year ago, "I liked my last experience with it."