Chapter Three: Janus (Wælgarth)

"The lords of Namiona are creatures of passion; they are governed more by their guts than their minds."
— Atticus Gaval, a philosopher.
~•~

"You speak of madness."

Janus Trellis could not believe that he was having this conversation with his bosom companion in the middle of the woods. Not when his sister had disappeared without a trace, leaving them all baffled. It had been a little over six days, yet there was no sign of her or where she was.

Edmund Eni halted his steed. "Madness? I speak the truth, Janus. Don't you see the truth?"

"I see nothing," Janus exhaled. "Nothing to suggest that we have any right to barge in and declare the Crown Prince an abductor."

"You are a stubborn mule," Edmund said, his teeth gritted. "You refuse to see treachery even when it is staring right at your face."

Janus ignored his friend. He reared his horse and trotted ahead of Edmund, knitting his brows in a frown. Despite all the love he had for him, sometimes Edmund Eni was too much for even the gentle Lord of Wælgarth to endure. Especially now, when he was in such a tight space. Lysa had disappeared, leaving no hint where she could be.

The trees of Æscford woods loomed ahead like entwined arms of some ancient knight. Its leaves were a dark, ashy green that appeared more black than green against the grey skies. Despite the realm being in the middle of summer, Wælgarth had maintained its reputation as a land of utter gloom.

A storm was brewing, and it was soon going to rain, and it was something Janus did not want to happen. It would further complicate the search for Lysa, for their small group of searchers comprising him, Edmund and twenty guards would have to return to the castle.

"You must listen," Edmund had caught up with his friend, who kept his face averted from the former. "Lysa is my betrothed. I care about her, just as you do. You ought to understand my convictions."

Janus took a deep breath. "I will not make enemies of the Crown with no evidence."

"The Crown is crumbling," Edmund sneered. "That lunatic who sits on the throne grows frantic with each passing day. His ways have put him at odds with many Houses. You and I both know that."

"What do you propose we do about that?"

"We strike them when they are at their weakest." A glint flickered in Edmund's eyes.

Janus gaped. "I would not have you speak of treason on my watch, Edmund. There should be a limit to everything."

A cold silence reigned between the two friends. Edmund grimaced. Janus frowned. For several long moments, they stared at each other, unblinking; grey storm-clouds clashed with cold blue icicles. Leaves swished behind them as a guest of wind blew overhead.

"It is better if we continue with the search," Janus broke the silence. "It is better not to dwell on such matters."

Edmund grunted but did not disagree. The searchers nudged their steads and trotted deeper into the woods. Janus bit his lip as a wave of hopelessness rendered him close to tears. The search had been desperate. He did not want to think of the things that might have happened to her. She was a fiery one, his sister, yet there was only so much she was capable of.

What if she is…? A tremble wracked through his body. He looked around at Edmund wearing a disgruntled frown and the other searchers to ground himself. His breathing had gone to swallow. The tips of his fingers had grown white from clutching the reins of his horse with utter force.

Janus's vision swam as dark blots appeared in his vision. His already pale features turned pallid, with a tinge of green. Was it the constant worry? Or perhaps was it because of the strain that he put his body through, for he had deprived it of proper food or rest in the past week? He did not want to know the answer. It ceased to matter to him.

Yet one can fight against their bodies only so much. His vision was not wholly dark, while his insides clenched in pain. He winced in agony as the desire to retch overpowered all his other senses. Two drops of tear, the maximum his dehydrated body could spare, staggered down his cheeks, through his unattended stubble.

"Janus?"

Edmund’s rumble broke him out of the spell. His eyes jerked open. They were still in the forest, closer to the clearing where the old graveyard was. The skies had grown grimmer. Swells of clouds, the little sunlight that penetrated through the thick foliage of the Æscford woods.

Yet nothing was grimmer than the expressions of the searchers. Most of them prayed to the gods, while the rest stared ahead at something with widened eyes. Even Edmund looked flustered — that strong jaw of his hung open in visceral shock. Janus raised an eyebrow.

"What…?"

His answer lay a few yards from him and his steed. It was the horse, Wylde. More like what remained of the poor creature. The horse lay to a side, the skin from beneath its neck to his abdomen slit in a swift motion.

However, it was not a precise cut. The lines whence skin and flesh had parted were jagged, as if done in a great hurry. Moist innards slipped out of the gaping crevice, healed upon the ground like worms, albeit much larger than the usual ones.

Wylde looked at the searchers through two dark holes where its eyes once resided.

Janus had enough. He stumbled from his steed and kneeled upon the ground, and heaved. Yet nothing came out of his mouth, save for two miserable whimpers. He flinched each time he heaved. Pressure built up behind his eyes. Yet Janus could not weep, no matter how hard he tried.

There was meagre hope for Lysa when they noticed Wylde was missing from the stables. But now, the creature had met its end at least days ago. Where could she go without a steed? What were the chances that she was safe wherever she was?
"Oh, Lysa…"

Janus groaned against his palms. The pressure within his head increased tenfold as he felt himself reeling. At the last moment, Edmund wrapped his arms around his friend. Janus looked up at him with red-rimmed eyes.

"Calm down, old lad, calm down," Edmund patted him on the back. "We must stay strong now."

"My si-ster," Janus croaked.

Edmund pulled him close to his chest. Janus clung onto his friend's armour and rested his head against his chest. He trembled in Edmund's arms.

"I told you, Janus," Edmund whispered against his ear. "Lysa never left on her own accord. She was taken."

Janus looked at him, his heart still in doubt. Yet Edmund with his stern gaze and upright posture bespoke of a confidence which he found lacking in himself. The way Edmund looked at him seemed to stir at something deep within him, something that told him to let go and follow his lead. Just it has always been since they were boys — Edmund led, Janus followed. It never had been any other way.

"Yes." Janus nodded, not quite put of his own accord.

Perhaps, there indeed was some semblance of truth in Edmund's words

~•~