Chapter Eighteen: Maysa (Domhnall)

"The heart knows, before the mind does."
— Constantine Neghaim, a courtier.
~•~

The four days that took them to return back to Domhnall was a whirlwind.

They raced their steeds across the forest floor, causing plumes of red dust to rise in their wake. It was relentless, their march, as they leapt across small brooks and travelled ever closer to the heart of the principality. Even then, in that morning, with the palace just a breath away, none of the riders were at peace. Not even Maysa.

As she stood in the middle of the teeming market that surrounded either side of the road leading her home, there was a restlessness in her that refused to be quelled. She chewed the insides of her cheeks to the point they turned bloody. Yet the taste of blood on her lips did little to deter her. Maysa was determined to find some semblance of comfort, painful or not. Remus beside her was a quiet presence, more a spectre than a human. His eyes looked glazed.

Seeing their princess, the crown prince of the realm, and the Aureate Shields trotting up to the palace, the market had come to a standstill. Throngs of people gathered around them to glimpse their mistress's face. They hailed her and cheered for her homecoming. But those words were a murmur in her ears. The only voice that echoed in her mind, loud and clear, was that of Edmund Eni's.

"You have a silver tongue, don't you? I will see how that aids you on the battlefield."

She understood the man well enough to know he planned to keep this promise. Even Janus was now wholly on his side, as he had proved with his own words. There would be a war for sure, though a civil war was the last thing that the realm needed. If only that fool Ayan had not—

"Your Serenity?"

Maysa jerked back from her thoughts to find that they stood at the threshold of the palace’s entrance. Airon and a retinue of guards stood in front to welcome her home. The stone lions, frozen in mid-roar, looked at the princess with their impassive ruby eyes as if pitying the turns of her fate. I don't blame you for feeling sorry for us; she thought looking at the lions, as she alighted off her horse, followed by Remus.

Airon moved closer to her. "My lady, I fear I have grave news." He said with his brows furrowed so deep that it seemed the skin there had caved in, forming a den made of wrinkled skin.

"What is it, Sir Airon?" she asked, though deep down she could expect what it might be. "Has Edmund Eni…?"

"Indeed, your Serenity. The lord of Beorgstead has declared revolt against the Crown, and House Trellis has joined his cause." Airon sighed. "The other houses are yet to name their preferred sides."

Before Maysa could reply, Remus interjected, saying, "It is all my fault. I…I should have been more careful."

"It is no way your fault, Remus. You have no control over the actions of your father, or any other man, for that matter." Maysa squeezed his shoulder while Airon lowered his gaze, knowing not what to say to such a statement.

"I must go," Remus continued, his gaze so distant that he might as well have been miles away from Domhnall. "If a fray is what we are headed for, then I must join it and fight from the front lines."

"No!"

Maysa’s voice came as a lot more forceful than she had expected. Her grip on his shoulder tightened, fingers digging into the toned flesh. She could not bear the thought of him facing such danger head-on. At least not alone.

"I meant to say that it is wise to wait a while longer before taking such decisions." She released his shoulder from her grip, her voice much softer as Remus gazed at her with a hint of surprise. "We are all weary from the journey. It is best if we both rest, and then we can have such discussions."

"And Sir Airon," she averted her gaze to the knight, who cast oblong glances at the pair from his vantage. "We shall discuss more about this in private."

Then, before Remus could protest, she tugged at his arm and ushered him inside. With them, the retinue too dispersed with the shroud of an impending conflict.

~•~

"There is no question of siding with House Eni," Maysa said, walking back and forth along the length of the table. "We hardly see each other eye to eye, and even if they are successful, I do not see how that would benefit Domhnall."

"I agree with you, my lady." Airon rested his hands on the surface of the table and took in a deep breath. "The Deshers have been steadfast allies of ours, and despite the transgressions of King Ayan, I believe it is only fair we stand behind them. Besides, he would not be king forever. We have hope."

The two were locked in the library, engaged in discussion. Maysa ensured Remus was resting, and despite his protests, she had left him in his chamber. She knew he was in no state of mind to worry about their predicament. He needed rest, some peace of mind to see things through. Being on the edge could prove to be a deterrent against them.

"I wonder what would have happened if it was a peasant and not Laurent Eni whom Ayan executed." Maysa laid an arm on the headboard of a chair. "None of these lords would have batted an eyelid. Gossiped, yes, but their reactions would hardly be so visceral."

Airon nodded. "Indeed. Though laws of the land may proclaim that all lives are equal, we have never followed it."

"Now we have what might become a rebellion," Maysa said. "Domhnall ought to be prepared. We must remain neutral for as long as we can, while covertly aiding Remus and his men. But we still should train our men for any clash that might take place in protecting our land. We must see to that."

"As you command, your Serenity," Airon replied. "None shall dare to raise their eyes against our home."

Maysa bit her lower lip. She winced a little as her teeth contacted the skin, rendered sensitive by similar ministrations. Her eyes were focused, her mind a storm of several thoughts. There was much needed to be done and not enough time. But she must persist. For all their sakes.

"I want you to do another thing," Maysa tapped her fingers upon the stone. "Send a group of our most able scouts under the command of Sir Mellis to search for Lysa Trellis. I want her at any cost, dead or alive."

"I shall inform him of your will."

"Keep it discreet and make sure that no one other than us knows about it."

She was about to speak again when a bout of dizziness made her sway. Maysa grabbed the headboard hard and pulled the chair before sitting on it. Beads of sweat had formed on her forehead while her feet buzzed with numbness.

"Are you feeling unwell, your Serenity?" Airon asked, standing up. "Perhaps you, too, should retire to your chambers and rest. The journey has taxed you a lot."

"I will, Sir Airon, I will," Maysa closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. "Once this threat looming over us is gone, I will rest. But now is not the time for such weakness."

"You are but a human, my lady, with needs that cannot be ignored," there was a hint of a rebuke in his voice. "You must rest. Your well-being is of utmost priority for Domhnall's sake. Please do not overexert."

Maysa smiled at her advisor’s words. "It warms my heart to see your care, Sir Airon."

"I have known you since you were but a babe, my lady. It is my duty to care for you." He returned that smile.

It was one of those rare moments where time remained suspended, a memory Mays would hold on to when the days grew darker.

~•~