Chapter 1

~Evan~

When I heard the news that Austin Campbell had fallen off a hundred-foot cliff and died, I couldn't believe it. It seemed like a prank, like he would show up at any minute and set the record straight so that life could go back to normal. So we could go back to class and not have to pretend that the star quarterback, the most popular kid in school, wasn't dead and gone.

This morning, the rumors ran rampant throughout the high school auditorium, anxious murmurs echoing off the walls and making the enormous room feel much smaller than it was. The seats squeaked as the last of the students filed in and sat, whispering among themselves concerning what they were about to hear. An announcement was forthcoming, according to Principal McCord and Coach Steele. On the back rows, the freshmen and sophomores seemed clueless, but just behind me, some juniors were voicing their suspicions and doubts, while it appeared every senior, except me, had come in with some farfetched version of the truth about what happened Saturday night. Scattered voices had tossed around a few scenarios. All of those possibilities made my stomach queasy, a feeling that worsened as the principal walked down the middle aisle and started up the stairs leading to the stage to address the student body.

What could the principal say that would make things go back to normal? Could he turn back the clock and make us forget what we knew? I didn't think that was possible. As I considered this, I caught the eye of the girl sitting next to me, my friend since elementary school.

Layla leaned in close to me and nudged her black-rimmed glasses up on her nose. "Why was he out there that late... at night?" Her voice tightened. "On Old Man's Bluff. It makes little sense."

"It's bad enough it happened on the weekend after the big game against Carver." I shrugged, noticing a few strands of her hair had fallen on my shoulder. She saw me eyeing her flaxen locks and offered me a tiny smile, then brushed it away. I hesitated, distracted, but attempted to get back to my point. "I mean, he just had the best performance of his high school career. Five touchdowns. I can't believe it. What was he doing? It makes no sense."

"I know, right?" Blake Davis elbowed my arm from the other seat next to me. He had been my best friend since first grade. We played pee wee, junior high and now high school football together. He was good. Fast as greased lightning and caught any ball thrown his way. Why he hung out with the backup quarterback, I don't know. Maybe he felt sorry for me. "Nothing about this mess makes sense. Layla, I bet your dad knows what went down."

"Just because he's the police chief doesn't mean he'll tell me anything." She glanced over at Blake. For a split-second, her eyes flitted to mine, but she redirected them back to Blake quickly. "He's does everything by the book. He doesn't talk about work when he comes home."

In the front row, Austin's girlfriend, Lexa Thorn, couldn't be consoled by her friends. Tears ran down her cheeks and her body shook with muffled sobs. She was a wreck. I had never seen her like this before. As a varsity cheerleader, she usually inspired team spirit. She might never accomplish that again. I couldn't help allowing my eyes to linger on her, trace the line of her jaw as tear drops streamed down her face and spilled over the edge, sliding down her slender neckline. If I had a chance, if I were sitting next to her, would I have anything to say that would ease her pain?

"Here we go," Layla said, breaking my concentration on Lexa's perfect complexion. She nodded toward the podium as Principal McCord stood behind it, gripping one side while adjusting the mic. Coach Steele took up a position next to him, hands clasped in the front of him, eyes narrowed and his jaw drawing in tight. "Pay attention." Layla's brow furrowed as she focused on the principal.

I nodded and glanced at Blake, who was shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

"What?" I said.

"You can't see what's right in front of you."