Epilogue

At the end of the week, when Friday rolled around, a depleted Pineville football team, minus most of their starters, barely beat Springville for homecoming, so the winning streak continued for the time being. I doubted it would last much longer without the likes of Elijah Ray, Casper Jones, and Koby Sanders, to name a few. All of which, including Ryan Dawson and Jacob Hamm, had been moved to a rehabilitation school upstate where their lives would eventually return to normal. At least that was the goal. Coach Diggs was promoted to head coach, and the guidance counselor Mrs. Sims was named the new principal. Also, Skinny Boy Finn, a sophomore, made his first start at quarterback, and did well enough to lead the Wolfpack to a win.

Rumors swirled around school, but the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs put a lid on the truth. Labeled it top secret. Chief Robinson, Layla's dad, had little to tell the townspeople when they showed their curiosity. No one but me even knew what the acronym stood for, the BSA. But Agent Smith said he'd be in touch; said he could use someone with my gifts. Obviously, there were more vampires and werewolves out there, most of which were the real deal, not athletes on performance enhancing supplements.

"Where's your mind at, Evan Mack?" Layla asked, peering up at me wearing contacts instead of glasses, her arms draped around my shoulders as we danced to a slow song at the homecoming dance. "You look like you're a million miles away. Isn't this what you wanted?" She smiled, her cheeks turning rosy, and her eyes looking dreamy. "Cause if it's not, we can always..."

"This is exactly what I want," I said decisively.

"Good." She glanced behind her at Blake dancing with another girl. "I'd hate for him to have all the fun."

"So, is this all you dreamed it'd be?"

"You mean the dance? With you?" Her lips twitched, and I saw a nervous lump slide down her throat. "I'm glad you figured out what was important to you."

"You mean vital. Always there for you. Can't live without."

"Exactly."

I listened to the melody for a few more seconds and then said, "There's something I've been thinking about doing for a while now."

"What's that?" She smiled.

I stared into Layla's eyes, her long hair swept back away from her face, held behind her head with a clip. But there were those few strands that had wiggled free and were loose around that smooth area just in front of her left ear.

I reached up and ran the tip of my finger down her cheek, caressing slowly, loving the feel of her soft skin, savoring the moment and enjoying the warmth in her eyes. We didn't speak. There was so much to be said, but so much more we communicated without words. Carefully, I gathered those unruly strands and tucked them behind her ear as she looked at me, biting her lower lip.

The moment was so perfect, I almost forgot to kiss her.

But then I did.

And she kissed me back.

As I pulled back, the corners of her mouth curled up tenderly, and her gaze brightened. "I've been waiting for you to do that all night."

"Honestly, I'd like to do it again, but I don't want Principal Sims to make us separate."

We danced, swaying to the music, with her head on my shoulder as the last song played. When the lights came on, I walked her to her car, the shiny blue Trans Am with the T-tops. Her dad had taken off work and finished the brake pads, getting it ready for her to pick me up at my house for the game and then the dance. I didn't mind being chauffeured one bit.

I opened the door for her, and she slid behind the wheel, her knees visible below the bottom hem of her red dress. It didn't take long for me to whip around the end of the car and ease into the seat next to her. She cranked the engine, and it hummed like a vintage hotrod should, especially when she mashed the gas pedal to give it a nice rumble. Hearing the tailpipe growl gave me a thrill as we left the school behind, but it also reminded me of what I needed to do, something Agent Smith thought it best for me to do. I had already tried it on Blake, nonchalantly, and it worked, though it left me unsettled. It seemed I had another power, one that made me feel guilty for using it.