「04」Stupid Move

04 | STUPID MOVE

     "OH NO, no, hold your fire!" Owen shouts as he approaches the dinosaurs with his hand held out, ordering for them to halt. "Hold your fire! Do not fire!"

     Barry hurriedly runs into the equipment cage and shuts the main door as Liana gives him a bewildered look.

     "Put 12 amps in these animals, they're never going to trust me again." Owen states, eyeing the velociraptors as Barry drags the careless worker onto his side.

     "Blue. Stand down." Owen demands, followed by a snarl from the aggressive raptor. "Hey! What did I just say?"

     Liana reverts her gaze towards the inside of the paddock and sees Delta slowly shuffling towards Owen. "Delta, I see you. Back up." She lets out a snarl and moves a centimeter backwards. "Okay, good. Good. Charlie, stay right there." Owen mumbles, slowly backing up. "Good, close the gate."

     Liana's eyes widen as Barry hovers his hand over the button. "No! Are you crazy?" Liana shouts, watching as the animals glare back at her father.

     "Just trust me."

     "Close the gate!" The rescued employee yells. Barry hesitates before slamming his hand down on the button. The siren goes off and the gate gradually moves down. Liana backs up as the door almost shuts, and in one fluid motion her father turns and rolls under, with the snarling velociraptors caught on the opposite side. Barry helps Owen up, who then turns to the worker.

     "You're the new guy, right?" He questions, looking down at the boy in the beanie. "Have you ever wondered why there's a job opening? Don't ever turn your back to the cage." Turning to walk away, Owen briefly exchanges a look with Hoskins, who smirks before leaving.

     Jogging towards Owen, Liana stops in front of him, blocking his pathway. "What were you thinking?" She asks, crossing her arms. "They could've eaten you. Stupid move, dad."

     Owen shrugs slightly, earning an eye roll from his daughter, and a huff, before she trails behind him.

     Liana kicks a rock on the road, staring at it as it rolls away. Due to her damaging their borrowed jeep, the two Grady's have to walk home now.

   "They could eat us." Liana mumbles.

     "What?"

     "The dinosaurs. We're out in the open. We're free food." she clarifies, striking another rock. "And who doesn't like free food?"

     "They're are all locked up, Liana. We're no where near them." Owen answers. Liana groans, getting tired of walking. Tilting her head upwards, she can see a clearing and only a partial view of our bungalow.

     "I'll meet you at the house." She says.

     "You're going to run that far?" Owen laughs, "Liana, you'd get a cramp at less than half way there."

     "That's absurd, father. I can run like my life depends on it, and luckily I haven't ran like my life depended on it before."