「06」Asset

06 | ASSET

     AS LIANA ENTERS the bungalow, the computer in the study lets off a loud noise. Heading towards the study, she shakes the mouse and the screen immediately turns on. Her brown eyes scan over the computer screen and notice that there's a notification for all the park employees. Reading over the message, she then closes the tab since it's just a simple note about the park's attractions.

     Turning back and seeing if her dad is still occupied by his motorcycle, she pulls out a chair and plop herself in front of the computer. For a person that's technically not an actual employee at Jurassic World, she sure knows a lot about most of the park's secrets and unauthorized places.

     Moving the cursor to the bookmarks bar, Liana scrolls down until she comes across a bookmark titled vhjfbgsh. The name doesn't stand for anything, it's just that Owen is too lazy to name it what it really is.

After clicking it, a screen pops up with the words Jurassic World: Authorized Personnel Only across the screen and a box for the password underneath it. Before Liana types in the password, she spins around in the computer chair, drags herself over to her docking station and plugs in her phone.

She scrolls through a bunch of songs before clicking on Eye of the Tiger. "Better." She mumbles, returning back to the computer.

Typing in the digits 8739, the screen changes to the staff website, which is basically a wall where current events and issues are reported. The only people who actually post on it are Lowery, who works in the control room, and, the assistant who posts for the manager, Claire Dearing.

LOWERY: I don't know if this posted
LOWERY: did this post?
LOWERY: I spilled my drink

CLAIRE DEARING: A total of 7 blue V.I.P wrist bands have been given out. Please make sure the barcode numbers match the ones below, so we do not run into any incidents.

Liana stifles a laugh as her eyes graze over the last message. When she let out the baby dinosaurs in the petting zoo, she managed to do so by creating a V.I.P wrist band for herself.

Scrolling through a few more posts, Liana learns that a few members of the royal family are on the island and that the whipped caramel latte at the Jungle Bean is awful.

Reminding herself of her coffee craving, she shuts off the computer and makes her way back outside. Walking outside, she comes to see her dad and the slightly irritating, red headed manager herself.

"Ok, ok. Can we just focus on the asset, please?" She says to Owen before her gaze quickly falls on Liana, "Oh hello, Lydia."

"It's Liana. But hi, Claire." Liana replies, sending her a fake smile. The two adults quickly return to their conversation as she takes a seat on a wicker chair.

"The asset? Look I get it. You're in charge out here, you gotta make a lot of tough decisions. It's probably easier to pretend these animals are just numbers on a spreadsheet. But they are not. They are alive." Owen retorts.

"I am fully aware that they are alive."

"Wait, asset? What asset?" Liana chirps in.

"They created a new dinosaur. She wants me to go inspect it." Owen informs as my the look on Liana's face quickly changes.

"That was still classified information, Mr. Gr - Owen." Claire states.

"Why the hell would you just go and make a new dinosaur?" Liana questions, rising to her feet.

"Like I mentioned to your father earlier, it's kinda what we do here." Claire responds.

"You might have made them in a test tube, but they don't know that. They're thinking: I gotta eat. I gotta hunt. I gotta..." Owen says, before pausing to make a gesture referring to sexual activity.

"Oh my god," Liana murmurs, shaking her head as he continues.

"You can relate to at least one of those things, right?"

"Can I come too?" Liana ask, her interest peaking about this new dinosaur.

"No." Claire and Owen say in unison.

"But why not, you never let me do anything."

Owen sighs, "Liana, I'm sorry but you can't come."

"Can I at least go down to the park?" She responds, slouching back in the wicker chair. Owen stops to think for a moment, then proceeds with a "no," followed by a groan of annoyance from Liana.

"Wait," Claire interrupts, "I have two nephews visiting. Maybe you could show them around?"

Liana chuckles bitterly, "I don't want to be a damn tour guide. I just want coffee."

"Fine." Owen says, having enough with his daughter's stubbornness, "I'll call Isaac and have him take you to get your coffee."

Isaac Lang is only a few years older than Liana and is one of Owen's friends who works up at the control room. He also happens to be Liana's only good friend on the island.

The two females stand in uncomfortable silence as Owen finishes talking with Isaac.

"He should be here s–"

"I'm here!" A voice shouts.

The three turn their heads towards the forest opening and find the dirty blond haired man, driving in on his jeep.

"Huh. That was fast."