𝟬𝟳𝟳  lovers requiem

𝙇𝙓𝙓𝙑𝙄𝙄.
LOVERS REQUIEM

──────

AMY DIDN'T KNOW about anyone else but, personally, she was fucking pumped to be in Seattle.

To her, it had seemed like a party that everyone had been invited to. 

It felt exclusive and exciting as if she'd been trying to smooth talk the bouncer into letting her pass for the last eleven months. 

(For the record, in New York that had been her special talent, conquering the unconquerable and slipping in between the cracks where no one else would dare go. She'd taken pride in her ability to talk her way through barriers and flash pretty smiles.) 

Admittedly, Amy had lost her touch over the last few years, she'd gotten out of the game and struggled to get back in; Addison refused to take her to Seattle with Archer and had refused to tell her that Beth had graced them all with an reinsertion back into their lives.

Sure, Amy was a troublemaker and she had the tendency to bring chaos wherever she went. But she also really, really missed her best friend.

It was fucking rude, Amy thought, fucking rude that everyone was allowed to have a good time in Seattle but her.

(Well, and when she heard rumours that the hospital had gotten shot up and both Beth and her brother were on her death bed, and she figured, hey maybe it was a good idea to sit this one out.)

But then had come the phone call, at a painfully respectable hour for a night owl like her: Charlie Perkins all the way in Seattle, telling Amy that he wanted to surprise his fiancée. 

He'd gotten her phone number off of Beth's cell and offered to pay the airfare. Apparently, Beth missed her and Charlie figured that seeing as he couldn't find anything on such short notice, an Amelia-Shepherd-Shaped-Wedding-Present was the best call. He'd already organised everything for her: the flight, the hotel and the transfer. All Amy had to do was say yes.

Needless to say, Amy had never packed so quickly in her life.

Her first impression of Charlie was clear from the moment he'd faxed over her airplane tickets: Where the hell had Beth found this guy? 

She'd been able to hear his smile over the phone, sense his genuine excitement at the thought of surprising the woman he loved with someone she hadn't seen in a long time. 

(Well crap, had been Amy's succinct reaction to that realisation that Beth had found someone who appeared to genuinely have her best interest at heart, Where do I get one of these?

It had almost made up for the screaming baby that had been wailing behind her through the whole of her flight; it had resulted in her seriously debating whether it'd been worth it to take the Hippocratic oath all of those years ago.

(Spoiler alert: It hadn't. The stupid thing had had lungs of steel and Amy had not once but thrice considered gambling her surgical licence on an assault charge against a toddler.)

But it did lead her to standing in the middle of Beth's Seattle apartment, mystified by the thought of Beth having a life that was so unfamiliar to her. 

The last time they'd seen each other had been in the pouring rain in the middle of the night, two passing shadows outside of Mark's apartment on the East Side of Manhattan. As Beth had squeezed Amy tightly, it was all she could think about.