Chapter 3 - Everything We Know Is a Lie

Danger? Why on earth would I be in danger?

I sighed as Ash's message ended there. They didn't explain why or who might be after me, nor did they leave instructions about what to do next or how to contact them.

But they had mentioned their name, and given the limited communication we'd shared before the guard apprehended them, that had to mean something. But could Ash even help me if Inno-Tech still had them in custody? Or would the guards have just tossed them out as more of a nuisance than a threat? Security had control-chipped them, but they were also chip-happy to avoid a scene at an important event. Anything to keep investors satisfied.

I wouldn't know more until I tried. When I turned on my comm, I kept the Inno-Tech frequency off and accessed the city directory. I suspected Ash Modi, male, 65, retired engineer, was not them nor was Ash Modi, male, 14, high school student. If I had to guess, they seemed at least twenty-five years old, but not quite forty. What if Ash was short for something like Ashton, Ashok, or Ashara? This could take all night, and I didn't have that much time.

I inspected the chip more closely, which displayed the letters A.M. etched in cursive, and on the other side, more words were inscribed. Modus Auxilium. Was that a company or a place?

A quick search confirmed that Modus Auxilium was a non-profit organization in a neighbourhood in the North End of Cyville. While contacting them may not yield results, it was my only lead. I somehow doubted a non-profit would be a mass producer of comm-chips, so I suspected Ash, and not the company, had inscribed it for a reason.

I requested a comm-connection with Modus Auxilium, suspecting that Ash was well aware of my name and comm-handle if they'd gone to these lengths to track me down.

Request accepted, my chip chirped.

I'd have to keep this brief, especially if Arch was looking for me. Unfortunately, this location wasn't out of character for me.

"Selene, I suspected I'd hear from you soon."

A wave of relief washed over me. At least one thing had worked out tonight. But the reason I was calling immediately returned to me.

"Ash, you were right. What sort of danger am I in?"

"Are you still at Inno-Tech?"

"Yes."

"Has Kenton finished the presentation?"

"Yes, and he may be searching for me."

I jumped as the red light above the door lit and the handle moved. Someone was trying to enter.

"Someone's here, Ash."

"Where is here? "

Why was everything a question with them? Didn't they know time was not my friend tonight?

I tensed and nearly knocked over the table as I backed up. What if Inno-Tech accessed my comm-feed? I wouldn't put it past them to run an 'all-ideas conceived on our premises are the intellectual property of Inno-Tech' ploy. My heart beat like the wings of robo-hummingbirds.

Calm down.

Perhaps Gina or another lab technician needed access.

Or was it Arch? He had been attempting to contact me, and he would suspect I'd fled to the lab.

My breaths increased in speed as the air grew hot and sticky against my bare arms.

Ash's voice reappeared. "Don't appear panicked."