Chapter 4 - Not Beyond Repair

Arch's eyes widened as he took in the most neutral expression and stance I could manage, despite being one statement away from clocking him in the face. The crunch of his nose against my fist would be so much more satisfying than the punching bag at the gym and no one would be the wiser in this soundproofed both except when the bruising came later. He stood stiffly as if he sensed the imminent danger.

"Selene, you must want to kill me."

The dry chuckle escaped my lips before I could contain it. But perhaps leaning into my vengeful side initially wasn't the worst idea. I wasn't an emotional suppressing bot who unconditionally supported someone with a smile. If he was going to buy my forgiveness act, I'd have to show him some anger and let him reel me in.

"A bit."

He ran a hand over his hair, and his shaved jaw tensed. "I never meant for this to happen."

"Wow, your excuses are as original as your inventions tonight. Did you poach everything you've ever done?"

It felt satisfying to snipe at him, and even better to see the light fade from his naturally hazel eyes. At least he'd had the sense to let his teal-eyed illusion go with me.

He winced and shook his head. "No, and I never wanted this to get developed without you."

Easy to say once he had shut me out of the entire development and pitch process. Now I'd only ever be the 'inspiration' and 'supportive partner.'

"You knew I was waiting to pitch this until we were more experienced. They will steamroll any of our objections. That has real consequences, like my mom..."

I ran my hand over my brow to fight the unease bubbling in my chest. Would I ever recover if I lost her or the person she had been my entire life? All because I caught feelings for a supposedly brilliant and charming inventor. If only I were aromantic instead of asexual, I wouldn't have put my family at risk.

As Arch stepped closer, I muttered, "Don't."

Despite being a potentially powerful false reconciling moment, the thought of his touch or consolation made my skin crawl. He hung his head, and his hands ran up and down the dark pants of his suit.

"Selene, I asked Ravi how much time a product like this would take to develop, and it's at least five years if not ten before it'll be accessible to everyday consumers. Your mom may not be able to wait that long."

Was he that much of a snake to use my mom against me?

I kept my tone steady. "My mom's fine."

"She's referred to me as 'your inventor friend' for six months."

Soon she'd been calling him 'that backstabbing asshole', but that letting that loose would blow my cover.

She had called him 'inventor friend' a few times, but she always had her own way of referring to things like rain capes for ponchos or junior bears instead of cubs. She used the terms endearingly because of how we met.

"You can't judge one nickname."

Arch's voice softened. "Selene, you might not want to see it, but her short-term memory is worsening. Her long-term memory is strong, but when you leave the room, it's obvious because she and I don't share that many memories."

I swallowed hard. Arch had to be manipulating me because I would have seen my mom's memory fading. Wouldn't my brother have noticed too? He would say something, right? Or would they lie to me to protect my feelings?

But mentioning it now when Arch wanted forgiveness was suspicious.

"And you've just been waiting to say something?"