Chapter 7 - Authorized Visitor

The bright lights from the towering buildings of the Inno-Tech district of Cyville illuminated the elevated pedestrian path, which navigated past various shops from the Nature-scapes Wellness Center to the 24-hour-Power caffeine shop selling everything from hot and cold caffeinated beverages, treats, capsules, injections, and more long-term slow release patches. My small strides outnumbered Arch's two to one, but at least my Versa-shoes were comfortable, though useless given that I hadn't pitched them to investors tonight.

Bitterness still lingered in my heart about that, and the architect of those feelings hadn't departed either. Although I hadn't asked him to as this familiar shared commute home comforted me slightly. The illusion my future wasn't shattered beyond repair echoed in his footfalls on the rubber sidewalk.

Arch and I reached the turn towards my apartment building. We only lived three streets apart, as close as we could get at the time we picked our homes because I'd wanted a place that had an apartment for my mom in my building as well. Arch had opted for one nearby, a touch fancier and more expensive than mine, but still comparable. With the bonuses in his new contract, he'd also found a nice home for his family, but they resided further given the space the five of them needed.

"Can I walk you the rest of the way home?" His voice was tentative, and he had that nervous twitch in his cheek that he got when he was self-conscious.

Had we gone far enough together? If he walked me home, he'd want to come up and explain himself again, but I'd heard so much bullshit tonight, I couldn't endure more.

I was about to say no when two men in business suits slowed their walk and cat-called me on their way down the path toward my apartment building. Arch's jaw tensed, and his hand curled into a fist as he told them to move along. I didn't recognize them as residents of my building, but the structure was over thirty stories high and this wasn't I time I regularly came home.

So I agreed because, despite his betrayal, Arch would protect me. Whether it was because he was sincere about still caring about me or as an asset for his project didn't matter after dark if the result was the same. He didn't bother me with questions or attempts at an apology. He just walked quietly beside me like he sensed I needed that space.

We arrived at Inno-Foods shop #47 with a small display of the in-season produce in the window, the pedestrian-level indicator for my apartment building, I turned to Arch.

"Thanks for walking me home."

"Anytime. Did you want to talk more about... earlier tonight?"

I ran a hand through my styled hair. "I'm exhausted, Arch, and what you did..."

"It's unforgivable, I know that. I never meant for it to..." He met my eye with a regretful expression, which may be a control chop at work. "I wanted you to lead it, not me."

"That's easy to say now. And regardless of what you meant to do, we're both stuck with these consequences. Inno-Tech–"

Damn that control chip! I wanted to rip it out, but it was impossible without removing all of my tech, which was dangerous to do unassisted. There was no way to disable them either, not that I was aware of. Maybe Ash would have an idea if they reached out again.

"We can talk freely upstairs. You can yell at me, say everything you wish you'd longed to during the meeting and now," Arch said.

That was tempting, but I was also drained, and that wouldn't change anything.

As we arrived at the lev-pods at the side of the building, the female AI voice said, "Welcome home, Selene and guest Archibald. A visitor is waiting in your apartment."