Chapter 5 - Forgetting Remember-All

I kept up with Arch's long strides the best I could before we rode an elevator up to Ravi's office. The elevator walls displayed various ads for relationship counsellors and self-help video sessions on getting the person you love to forgive you. It took Arch longer to realize he'd left his chip network open. He blinked a few times before the screens went to a neutral natural scene of mountains and a forest, and he muttered an apology, only hesitantly meeting my eye. Luckily I'd left my settings off or ads for podcasts on the best revenge tactics and how to tell if your significant other is a sociopath would fill the walls.

Before the betrayal, when we felt like leaving our networks open, our ads featured a mix of food, concerts, and cute romantic venues for a date where Arch would meet my eye with a subtle smile. We never went with the choices suggested because he was adamant he could find a better option, and almost always did. My heart ached, mourning that closeness. Unless I forced the thoughts to manipulate him, I couldn't imagine us returning to that. The distance between in the elevator was as wide as possible.

After the elevator dinged and called out our floor, we had to scan in a second time to gain access to the chief officer's space. I'd only been to Ravi's office once as he came to us or sent virtual instructions, so Arch led the way at a brisk pace. Ravi's full name was etched into a golden nameplate on the oak door with the words 'Chief Technology Officer'. The rings in the wood were tight enough to signal it came from an old-growth forest, probably one of the few remaining ones. It seemed a shame it had survived for hundreds of years only to become a door. Arch rang the video bell that mirrored us standing farther away than usual with rather sombre expressions.

Was he worried about this meeting and if so, was it because I could confront him in front of our bosses or was there something else to worry about?

I didn't have time to contemplate the options as an AI voice told us that Mr. Singh would see us now, and the door unlocked with the ringing of a wind chime. As we entered, Ravi stood behind his desk with the founder and CEO of Inno-Tech, Mr. Martin, seated in Ravi's office chair. The founder's pale bald head gleamed in the soft office lights, and his brown eyes followed mine beneath his brown and gold horn-rimmed glasses that must have been cosmetic as a man of his financial status could have his vision among other senses enhanced beyond what nature intended.

"Mr. Kenton, Ms. Mintz, thank you for joining us." Ravi smiled as he did with many of the interns. His easy-going nature during training was part of what made my transition to Inno-Tech easier years ago.

The founder didn't speak, but his eyes followed my every move, from my tentative steps to brushing my light brown hair out of my eyes. All the moisture from my mouth and throat flowed to my sweating palms. I'd never spoken to this man but had seen him in plenty of company-wide comm-messages.

Why was he here? Had he suspected what Arch had done, or did he know and he was here to silence me?

While the last outcome wouldn't completely surprise me given Inno-Tech's competitive, anything-to-win nature, I wanted to be wrong.

Arch pulled out a chair for me, which I took to ease my now wobbling legs. Then he sat beside me. Either he was putting on the doting boyfriend show for our audience, or he'd noticed my discomfort and still cared. Both options unsettled me.

"Mr. Kenton mentioned you may have some concerns about joining the development team for Mem-Armour. We are here to address them the best we can," Ravi said.

I took a calming breath. Would he address that my ex-boyfriend was a thieving prick working for a corporation that endorsed his actions? There was no fixing that.

"I'm not sure how you can." Unless they were prepared to give ownership of the project to the actual creator.

The founder steepled his hands on the desk and studied my face and dress. "At Inno-Tech, we pride ourselves on finding solutions to every problem."