𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑.

Jorja's PovAs I climbed up the narrow staircase, my heart pounded with anticipation

Jorja's Pov
As I climbed up the narrow staircase, my heart pounded with anticipation. I was on a mission to find Solèigh's apartment, but the building layout was confusing, and I didn't know where to look.

My eyes darted back and forth, scanning the dimly lit hallways. There was a group of people huddled against the wall, smoking and chatting. The acrid smell of cigarette smoke filled my nostrils, making me wrinkle my nose in disgust.

After climbing two flights of stairs, I finally reached the door. I took a deep breath and raised my fist to knock. Pausing between each knock, I listened for any signs of someone approaching.

Upon approaching the black door, I was about to knock on it when I noticed a notice tacked on the side. As I moved closer, I could see that it was an official document with the words "EVICTION NOTICE" stamped in bold red print across the paper.

Although they were experiencing financial difficulties, it was incomprehensible to me to leave your six-year-old child at daycare without saying goodbye or giving any notice, or to leave her alone in general.

"Oh my gosh, who knows where she went," I muttered to myself, pulling out my phone from my pocket to call her one more time before leaving. Yet again, the phone kept ringing until it went to voicemail. I ran my hand over my face in frustration and anger, then turned around to walk down the stairs, trying to avoid anyone as I went.

As I walked back to my car, where my friends Ebony and Soléigh were waiting, I headed upstairs for a brief moment. As soon as I opened the car door and Sliding into the driver's seat, I swiveled to Ebony, "She w-" but cut off, catching her stern look and subtle tilt of the head towards the backseat.

I looked back and saw that Soléigh was now awake, staring back at me with her big, brown eyes. I smiled softly and turned back around, feeling relieved that Ebony had stopped me from going any further. It wasn't the right time to tell Soléigh that I didn't know where her mother was.

Feeling the awkwardness in the air, I suggested, "Maybe we should just go to Target and get her some things." I mumbled the words, making sure only Ebony could hear me.

As we drove down the road, I turned to Ebony and suggested, "After we finish shopping, we could grab a bite to eat and maybe spend some time at the park or do something else fun. The weather is decent today." I said, gaving her thigh a gentle squeeze with one hand while steering the wheel with the other.

"That's sounds good. Soléigh what do you wanna do today?" Ebony asked, glancing back at her in the backseat. Soléigh playfully rested her hand on her chin, pretending to ponder, and Ebony chuckled, realizing it had become a little habit for the young girl to put on her thinking cap.