Prologue

The small spark flickered brightly, like the beginning embers of a flame it grew quickly. There was always enough tinder to burn, an endless supply of misery and anger to feed from.

Sometimes she barely noticed it, her days filled with bleak monotony and the hopeless feeling she had come to accept.

The spark within her fed from this too, sometimes it was quiet and simmering, others it was violent and raging. No matter her mood it was there, no matter the time of day, or the hours that day passed, it was there.

A constant burning spark, bright and ravenous.

All it wanted to do was burn, burn all the dark thoughts that circled within her mind. Burn all the confines that kept her caged within these beautiful walls. Burn all those around her who simply watched her sinking slowly into the darkness and did nothing to help her.

But she didn't hear it.

She didn't feel the spark.

All she felt was the anger.

And she was so used to it now it became second nature to her, like a friend it walked with her, holding her hand, keeping her awake in the lonely hours of the night, reminding her of who she had always been.

Because the spark had always been there, only now it was something more, it was growing, changing, and with every moment that passed, every hour that she waited, every thought that crossed her mind it waited.

It waited for her to hear its voice.

It waited for her to understand what it was.

It waited for the restrains that has held it into place for so long to be gone.

It didn't know how long it would take, but it was patient, it would continue to burn, to grow, to change.

Because soon, she would hear its voice, and then, it would never have to be silent again.