Chapter 12

Camila

"Wait a minute!" Hailee chokes through her laughter. "She convinces you to take her home, then what?" Her brows shoot up. "Says hang on a sec, let me call my husband, so he doesn't disturb us between our fuck?"

Lauren laughs into her fist while my palm slaps over my mouth to hold back a giggle, so I don't spit water all over, as tears of laughter leak from my eyes.

Zayn grins. "No. She waited until I got sheathed, reached between her legs, pulled the phone out and start talking to her husband like it was fuckin' normal."

My mouth drops open, and Hailee laughs so hard she does spit water... all over Zayn's lap, but he only smiles, nudging her shoulder with his.

"Okay." Lauren frowns in amusement. "No more of your frat stories of cheating tonight."

"Let's hear some of yours?"

Lauren's gaze darts to mine, eyes bright. "Me?"

I nod, taking another small drink of water.

Her chuckle is low, and she licks her lips, but it's Zayn who speaks.

"Unless you want a detailed description of the practice field, gym, weed, grocery store and maybe a local gas station or two, you probably want to stick to me for entertainment." He laughs, whipping his head to the side to avoid the peanut Lauren throws his way.

Lauren grins good-naturedly, throwing her arm out along the back of the booth as she settles more into it.

"A homebody then?" I wonder.

Lauren brings those eyes back to mine, a hidden grin threatening to slip. "Depends."

"On What?"

Her gaze narrows the slightest bit, but a smile is written in the creases framing her face. "On the day, the situation, and the reason I'd have for going."

"I didn't mean she's a grandma." Zayn laughs. "She's a focused-ass fucker is all. Surprised I got her out tonight." She looks to her friend, and then Zayn's smirk widens. "Actually, I'm not."

They share a secret laugh, and I smile, glancing around the table as the conversations flow, truly enjoying the easiness of the evening.

After my dance partner surprise, Lauren and I tracked down Hailee and Zayn by the bar, quickly grabbing an empty table to hang for a while longer. We've been sitting here for about an hour now, listening to Zayn's hilariously horrific tales from his first year in college when he pledged a fraternity at UCB, where he completed his first year. He transferred to Pheonix Highhis sophomore year, and he learned quick football and fraternities don't always mix when you want to be on top of your game, ergo the football house Carl, Harry and Shawn lives in.

Shawn.

My stomach turns at the thought of him, and I fill my glass with the remainder of the pitcher. When I set the heaving cup back down, my eyes rise, finding Lauren studying me, her head tilted slightly.

Her tongue peeks out, wetting her lips, and her dark brows slightly pinch, strangely making her face all the more pretty. Thankfully, Hailee begins to speak, so I have an excuse to look away.

"I'm wiped." She turns to me with a drunken smile. "You must be dying if I'm tired."

I grin but drop my gaze to my glass. I hate how a simple, unintentional thought that was linked to Shawn leaves me sulky, even through the buzz.

Honestly, I'm not tired yet and the last thing I want to do is go home and lie in bed for hours, thinking about things I have no control over and a man I need to get over. Still, I ready to agree, turning back to her, but Lauren speaks before I can.