Chapter 28

Camila

My hand slips under the covers, but Lauren catches it with a popped brow.

"You were supposed to get some sleep Camz." Her glare is playful.

"I'll sleep when I'm old Laur."

Chuckling, she climbs out of bed, her gloriously naked body on full display. She slips her boxers and jeans on, turning back to me with her shirt.

She slaps the edge of the bed, so I crawl over, and she pulls it over my head.

"I love your ass Camz" she pecks at my lips before tossing me over her shoulder.

I squeal, attempting to cover my bare ass, but she reaches up, palming my left cheek as she carries me into the living room, so I stop trying, enjoying the heat of her touch.

"If you're not going to sleep, you need to let me feed you. Your stomach started growling an hour ago."

She lowers me onto the couch, smirking as she gets a little flashing show when her shirt gets tied up around my waist. She tosses a blanket over my head, her footsteps carrying her into the kitchen.

Unable to contain my smile, I cozy up on the cushions, pulling the blanket up to my chin as I put last night's game on. I pick up where we left off... right after Carl was carted from the field, the worry too much at the time to sit through another second.

As soon as I press play and the commentators begin to speak, Lauren does too, the gentleness of her tone warming me in places I can't deny.

"You don't have to watch this," she says.

I lick my lips, keeping my eyes on the screen.

"You're my quarterback." I grin against the blanket. "So yeah, I do."

Lauren doesn't say a word, but I know she's smiling, and mine grows because of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever Lauren makes, I haven't a clue, because the next thing I know, I'm waking up to a dark house, and she's gone.

I down a glass of water, and I drag myself into the shower, standing under the warm spray until the water runs cold, replaying the morning over and over again.

When I get out, I head into the kitchen, picking my phone up from the countertop.

I find a text from Lauren.

Champion: I tried to wake you to tell you I had to go, but you didn't budge. Yes. I checked your pulse. Food is in the microwave.

A chuckle leaves me.

Champion: I'm headed to my mom's. The team's going to a pizza pub a few blocks from campus at seven. Let me know if you want to go.

My chest pinches, knowing my brother won't be there, but he'll be pissed if I don't go just because he can't, all the while hating the thought of me there with a bunch guys and girls.

But I'll be with Lauren. That, and Harry and Shawn will be there too.

So I say yes.

In the microwave are two egg and cheese burritos, pretty much the only option there was in the fridge. It's already five in the evening, so I only reheat one, saving room for pizza later.

I FaceTime Carl, relieved when I see he's home and settled into his bed with a giant plate of French toast beside him that Sabrina brought over.

He's smiling and has more color than this morning, even if he still looks exhausted, but it's only day one, so I hang up feeling good, which makes me want to look good.