prologue

"im exercising demons got them

running round the block now"

swim; chase atlantic

𓆩♡𓆪

Edith Raya Starlight. In any other universe Edith would have loved this name, a name with hope and power. But not in this one, Edith never felt as the name suited her - she was the opposite of that. Fragile.

It's like her adoptive parent's played a sick joke on her when deciding what to name her.

Edith was born with a disease named Osteogenesis imperfecta - also known as brittle bone disease. Caused by defective genes that affect the collagen that strengthens bones. Most of the time this disease is not severe - only a few bone fractures through a person's life. In Ediths' case, it was severe. The smallest of bumps or falls - she was faulty to it.

This affected her childhood heavily, growing up alone, isolated even. Her parent's helicopter parenting left no room for exploring. They homeschooled her, kept a watchful eye on her every move, and baby proofed everything. She was now 16 and she had yet to experience any sort of freedom in her life. She never learned how to drive, she never got her first kiss, she never went to a dance, she never even made a friend - barely even interacting with her 'cousin' in California.

Every time she looked into the mirror she saw someone she despised, born with something she cannot fix, born to be perpetually alone.

She loved her parents, don't get her wrong. But she wished things could change, she wished she was normal. She wished she didn't hear the word 'fragile' every four sentences. She wished she didn't have to be reminded of how different she really was. She wished she could live outside - not just to travel to doctor's appointments.

She didn't hate missing out on being outside as much as she used to - Edith was used to watching the world pass through a window. She didn't mind it though, she lived in Washington where sun was rare and rain was common.

As Edith finished up her schoolwork she sighed, bored (another common thing in the world of Edith - boredom). Her eyes traveled to the bookshelf next to her desk and gave it a once over, her mother hadn't gone out to get her book list for this week yet and she had already gone through all of the book's in the shelf - more than once.

She groaned, turning back to look at the computer in front of her - she opens her bookmarked tabs and scrolls down to a specific folder. "Witchcraft." Edith was a firm believer in Science, she never doubted the workings of the Doctors that worked with her - but she couldn't help but wonder if anything else could help 'fix' her.

It was the work of fantasy in her mind, but it's all she had - holding on through the idea of spells and potions and conjuring demons. She wished she could fix herself.