Chapter 2

“King Tynor, I have your precious daughter’s life in my hands. I suggest you listen to me,” he shouted, baring his teeth and moving my long hair away from my neck. I winced at the realisation of how much trouble I was going to be in.
“Do not mistake me for a fool, my daughter is stood next to me,” My father bellowed, gesturing to Madison. My brothers shifted protectively in front of her.
To my dismay, he suddenly reached forward and yanked my mask off for everyone to see. The room filled with gasps as they realised he was threatening their youngest princess. The guards suddenly paid attention and turned to face him, awaiting my father’s instruction.
“Take your hands off of my daughter now.” The king warned. I watched my brothers make their way over to me, they had ripped off their masks.
“Don’t come any closer,” the man warned them, letting his fangs drag across my neck. I held my breath. I noticed there were others who must have been working with him surrounding us. My brothers paused, looking back at my father to see what they should do.
The split-second pause was all he needed, his men rushed into my brothers, distracting them as he threw me over his shoulder and started to run towards the front door. I screamed as he flung us down the corridors, away from the guards running after us. He came to a sudden halt as somebody ran into us, knocking me into the ground. I sighed in relief when I realised it was the handsome stranger from earlier. His eyes had turned a deep shade of red as he stood towering over him.
He hastily pulled me to my feet. “Are you okay?”
“Thank you,” I nodded, as the guards surrounded the blonde-haired man, dragging him away.
After he was satisfied I was unharmed, he pulled his mask off and I felt my jaw drop slightly as I realised how truly handsome he was. His emerald eyes, jet black hair and perfect smile made my cheeks redden.
“I’m Atlas.” He smiled.
“Alara,” I grinned, brushing my fingers through my hair.
“Alara! Are you hurt?” my father called out as he appeared around the corner, Rowan was on his heels.
“I’m fine Daddy, I’m so sorry I snuck into the party,” I dropped my head out of respect for my father. “Atlas stopped him.” I continued, gesturing towards Atlas.
“Thank you,” my father sincerely smiled, shaking his hand.
“You are welcome, Your Highness.”
“The party is over, we need to have a family meeting. Thank you again young man,” my father announced. He put his hand on my back and gently pushed me in the direction of his office. “Rowan, take your sister to my office. I shall be there shortly.”
I glanced back at Atlas and mouthed “Thank you,” to him. He winked in my direction before turning to speak to my father.
The twins and Maddy were stood in father’s office waiting for us. I sighed when I noticed my sister’s face. “Sit down Alara,” She ordered. I rolled my eyes, but sat nervously in the chair opposite my dad’s wooden desk.
“You could have been killed, what on earth were you thinking?” Rowan scolded, crossing his arms as he walked around to father’s side of his desk.
“That’s exactly what I want to know.” The King walked through the door. Rowan hurried to the wall where my other siblings were stood.
“I just wanted to go to the party,” I mumbled.
“You haven’t turned yet Alara, you’re too vulnerable. If you had turned you would never have let yourself get caught.” My father sat in front of me. “You’re lucky Atlas stopped him. Though it does make our defences look weak, my own guards couldn’t stop my own daughter from being kidnapped in front of my very eyes.” He fumed.
“I know I know, I’m sorry,” I said, feeling a tear roll down my cheek following tonight’s events. His face softened at the sight. “I didn’t know that that man was going to try and take me.”
“My men are interrogating him as we speak, they’ll get answers out of him. I want to know exactly why he targeted you. Until then, I don’t want any of you alone. Girls I want you to share a room tonight, and boys, same for you. I’ve also positioned another guard outside of your rooms tonight.” My father explained.
Almost instantly my siblings started to bicker. “Dad I’m not sharing a room with Alara, she snores!” Maddy groaned.
I glared at her. “No I don’t, I’m not sleeping with her either.”
“Silence. It’s for your safety. I do not want to hear another word about it. Now goodnight children, I will see you all tomorrow with an update.” He dismissed us.
We left his office and I waited for their snarky comments. To my surprise, the twins hugged me. “You scared us Alara,” Finn said.
Kai nodded his head. “Did you have fun at least?” He grinned.
Rowan shoved him in the side. “Was Sage with you by any chance?” He asked. Whoops, he’s figured it out.
“Um...maybe.”
“I knew it!” He groaned, grabbing his head.
“Did you enjoy being rescued by Maddy’s hot boyfriend?” Kai winked. My heart sank.
“Boyfriend?” I asked, whipping my head to look at my older sister.
“He’s not my boyfriend...yet. Father is trying to set us up. He’s the Prince of Amethyst.” She said smugly. “And he’s so handsome.”
“I didn’t really talk to him.” I muttered.
“He has a beautiful palace and he’s very rich. Father said our marriage will unite our two territories. You’ll have to call me Queen.” She boasted.
“Shut up Maddy, he hasn’t even courted you yet.” Rowan said. They started bickering.
“I’m going to bed.” I announced, not that they were paying me any attention anymore.
Well there goes that idea. I was gutted. I knew deep down it would never have worked, but hey – a girl can dream right? I thought back to his grin, and his beautiful eyes. Ugh, I can’t imagine him with my sister.
I walked past the two guards outside my door and into my beautifully decorated bedroom. I sank down onto my mattress. I grabbed my phone from my bedside table and texted Sage. I am in so much trouble. Did you get home okay? I waited till she responded to let me know she was safe and then pulled my dress off. I threw on a baggy t-shirt and some comfy shorts and got ready for bed.
The door opened not long after and Maddy walked in in her pyjamas. She climbed in next to me. “I heard Dad talking to his general. They’re worried about you.”
I sat up in bed and faced her. “Why would they be worried about me? I think he thought I was you.”
“They said that he had your photograph in his suit pocket, it was a planned attack.”
“But how did they know I’d be there?” I asked. I felt my stomach tie in knots.
“They didn’t, they probably checked your room and noticed you weren’t there,” Maddy explained. “You may be my annoying baby sister, but I don’t want to lose you too.”
I winced when she said that. I couldn’t remember much of our mother. I was only eight when it happened. She was murdered by rogue vampires, that’s all the detail I was allowed to know. I hated how my family still treated me like a child.
“Get some sleep Alara, you still have to go to school tomorrow.” I rolled my eyes as bossy Maddy was back. I turned around so my back was to her and fell asleep. I wasn’t afraid, I know my father would have the rogue vampires who tried to take me tonight killed.