Chapter 5

Jasper pulled into the car park outside of an Italian restaurant not far from home. “I love Casper’s! It’s one of my favourites!” I exclaimed as we walked towards the door.
“I know, Sage told me,” he smiled, opening the door for me to go through. Of course she did.
“Thank you.”
We were seated in a booth in the corner of the restaurant. It was dimly lit, and rather romantic. Jasper appeared rather nervous. It was quite cute. “You look beautiful tonight Alara,” he said, as he poured me a glass of water. The waiter came over and handed us both a glass of blood.
“No thank you,” I smiled, shaking my head politely.
“Oh my apologies, Princess Alara. I did not recognise you without your father.” He apologised, before hurrying away.
“When did you turn?” I asked, as I gestured towards the blood.
“Only a few weeks ago, when are you eighteen?” Jasper asked as he took a sip.
“Two months...was your transformation difficult?”
“Not really no, it took some getting used to my new powers, but it felt exhilarating. You’ll be fine, you’ve got royal blood in you,” he winked.
“I hope so...have you tried to fly?” I asked, knowing it was an incredibly rare trait for vampires to have.
“I did, and fell hard...but don’t tell anybody that,” he laughed. I giggled as he told me the story of him jumping off a large rock and falling flat on his behind.
We spoke for what felt like hours, but it could have only been twenty minutes as our waiter arrived with our food. I had chosen a lasagne, and at my recommendation, Jasper went for the same. Jasper had moved closer, so that our legs were now touching. I felt my cheeks start to warm up at our closeness. “I’m having a great time Alara, thank you for letting me take you on a date.”
“So it’s a date is it?” I asked, holding back my smile.
“Oh...uh I just thought...sorry-”
“Relax, I’m just messing with you. I’m having a lovely time too,” I smiled, pecking him on the cheek.
It was Jasper’s turn to blush now. It was true. I was having the most fun I had had in a long while. I didn’t dare think about the repercussions waiting for me at home. I excused myself to use the bathroom. On my way back to the table I saw a tall, dark-haired man watching me. It was the same red eyed man as earlier. I picked up my speed and slipped into the booth.
“Is everything okay Alara?” Jasper asked.
“Can you see that man?” I whispered, pointing towards him. He wasn’t even trying to be discreet with his staring.
Jasper put an arm around me protectively. “Do you know him?” He asked quietly.
“No, but I think I saw him at the football game.” I whispered. I forgot he would be able to hear me.
Before Jasper could respond the lights went off, and everyone screamed. I grabbed his arm, looking around for the red eyed man. “I think we should go,” I said.
“I agree, let’s get you home.”
Jasper kept his arm around me as we walked outside. “Excuse me, Miss?” Before I could turn around, a car pulled up, and Atlas jumped out looking furious.
“Oh crap,” I yelped, as I hid behind Jasper hoping he hadn’t seen me.
“Who is it?” Jasper asked.
Atlas grabbed his arm and pushed him up against his jeep. “Who on earth are you and why are you with the Princess?”
“Atlas stop it! He’s a boy from school,” I scolded, pulling him off of Jasper. “I’m so sorry,” I apologised, frowning at Atlas.
“Get in the car now, you are in so much trouble.”
I opened my mouth to argue back, but with the look Atlas was directing at me I thought better of it. “Thank you for an amazing date Jasper, I’ll see you tomorrow.” I smiled, climbing into Atlas’ car. I watched Jasper wave back and hurry into his car. Jasper may be muscular and tall for his age, but he is no match for Atlas.
“Did I hear you say date?” Atlas quizzed when he entered the car.
“Yes, why does it matter to you?” I snapped, folding my arms.
He closed his eyes and leant back into his chair. “You’re telling me, you caused all of this trouble for a date with a stupid boy?”
“What trouble? What are you on about?”
“The King knows Alara. He called me furious that I let you go alone. Might I add, I had to leave my own date to come pick you up!” Atlas explained, starting the car.
“I’m sorry, nobody was meant to find out,” I admitted, defeated. I couldn’t help but wonder who he was on a date with, it must have been with my sister.
“It’s too late for that, your father is waiting at home for you. He was going to come himself, but I told him I’d get you. You’re lucky it was me. He probably would have snapped that boy’s neck if he saw him with his arm around you.”
We pulled into the garage and as we entered the palace, my father was stood waiting for me. Rowan was stood next to him, he looked rather embarrassed. “Sorry.” He mouthed.
“Alara Rosewood, how dare you lie to your brother and Atlas. You have no idea the danger you put yourself and Sage in going to that football game.” My father fumed. I knew he was angry when he used my last name.
I bowed my head, showing my respect. “I am sorry Father.”
Atlas coughed, I glared at him, warning him not to tell him I was on a date. Father turned to look at Atlas. “And Atlas, what exactly am I paying you for? If you cannot handle this position, then I shall find someone who can.”
“Daddy, it wasn’t his fault.” I said quietly.
“My apologies Your Majesty, I believed she would be safe in her bedroom. I didn’t expect her to be on a date with some boy.”
I gasped and dropped my eyes to the floor, too afraid to look at my dad. I made a note to tell Atlas off later.
“Date? I thought you went to the football game with Sage.” The king raged, walking up and down. “Which boy?”
“Jasper Gray,” I muttered.
“The general’s boy? Alara you are a Princess of Rosewood. You cannot be going on dates with anybody and everybody from school!”
“Jasper is nice! He wouldn’t hurt me,” I argued.
Father stopped pacing up and down. “You do not understand the amount of danger you are in. You leave me with no choice. Atlas, would you be willing to move into the palace tomorrow? Just until we have eradicated the threat. I need to leave first thing in the morning to hunt down a lead on the attack at the ball and I will not rest until I know she is in safe hands.”
“Of course, Your Majesty. I will not let her out of my sight again.”
“Good. Thank you. There’s a spare room across the hall from Alara. I will ask the staff to prepare the room for you.” Father turned to me. “Whilst your brothers and I are away, you are to listen to Atlas. If I find out you have caused any more trouble. I shall have no choice but to send you away.”
“Yes Daddy, what about Madeline?” I asked as I wondered if they wanted my sister as well.
“They are not after her. Now go get some sleep Alara.” He kissed the top of my head, which was a sign he had calmed down. He may lose his temper fast, but he also forgives rapidly.
“Okay, goodnight Father,” I quickly hugged him before going to my room. I cannot believe Atlas is going to be in the room opposite mine. He's bad enough when he isn't living across the hall from me. I frowned as I remembered he said he was on a date. I know I need to stop thinking about him in that way, but I can't explain it.