Chapter 7

A few days later I was getting ready for Sophie’s birthday party. I wouldn’t usually be allowed to go, but my father seemed rather confident that the threat was no longer a problem after his return. So, as long as Atlas came with me, I had his permission. Atlas barged into my room, not bothering to knock as usual. “I could have been getting dressed, you need to knock before you come into my room,” I tutted.
He rolled his eyes before sitting at my desk. “I’m hiding from your sister.”
“Why? I thought you two were supposed to be getting to know each other?” I asked.
He laughed at me until he saw my serious expression. “No, where did you get that idea from?”
“I thought my father was trying to set something up,” I started to feel embarrassed.
“That was before your father hired me as your guard, and besides Maddy is not really my type...she’s too-”“Bossy?” I finished.
“Yes, and she’s too desperate for me.” He sighed, loosening the collar of his shirt. “Were you jealous Alara?” He winked. I threw my pillow at him before pulling him out of my chair and pushing him towards my door.
“No, she can have you, you’re too annoying!”
I shut my door and sighed to myself. I called Sophie to check what time she wanted me there. Thirty minutes. I left my bedroom to walk across the hall. Luckily for me, my father and brothers are on the opposite side of the palace and my sister is far enough away to not bother me either. None of them wanted to be in one of the rooms on this corridor as they were too small for them. Despite all of them still having a dressing room and en-suite bathroom attached. However, me being the youngest was lumped with the last choice of the rooms.
I knocked on Atlas’ door, tapping my foot impatiently. He opened it shirtless, not bothering to put a shirt on. I couldn’t help myself as my eyes gazed over his perfectly defined abs. Oh my god. He truly was made from the heavens. “Alara?” His thick voice drawled, pulling me from my thoughts.
“Sorry, I..uh,”
“Do I make you nervous Alara?” He asked, furrowing his brows as he studied my face. This man oozed confidence, but hey I would too if I looked like him.
“No! I was just going to ask if we can leave in half an hour?” I muttered, refusing to look into his green eyes.
“Sure, I’ll come and get you then.”
I turned to go back into my room and get ready. I straightened my hair and added some eyeliner and red lipstick. I wanted to look great tonight as Jasper was going to be there. Sophie asked everybody to wear white tonight, as she was going to wear black. I pulled out a short, white bodycon dress with mesh cut outs on the sides and chest. It was sexy. I admired my reflection, the dress was incredibly flattering and showed off my curves perfectly.
Atlas knocked on the door, I quickly put my white high heels on before opening the door. His mouth dropped ever so lightly. “Wow, you look beautiful.” He let his eyes slowly scan me from top to bottom.
I blushed, not expecting that reaction. “Thank you, you don’t look half bad yourself,” I smiled, twirling to show him my outfit.
“That’s far too short,” he pointed out. I pulled my dress down a little bit in response.
“Since when were you in charge of my clothing as well?” I retorted, crossing my arms.
“Okay okay, let’s go,” he gave in, holding his hands up. He gestured for me to lead the way, closing my door behind us.
“Can you keep my lipstick in your pocket please? I don’t want to bring a bag.” I asked, handing him my lipstick. Every girl knows that red lipstick is a dangerous game.
“Seriously?” He asked with a hint of a humour in his eyes. He placed it in his suit jacket pocket regardless.
“Thanks,” I grinned.
We arrived at Sophies mansion, her father and mine were good friends. He was on the king’s council. “I didn’t realise it was this type of party,” Atlas breathed. “I know it’s just a high school party, but keep within my line of sight. There’s got to be at least fifty people here.”
“Oh relax, my dad seemed pretty certain that the threat was almost gone. Hey, you might be able to go back to your own territory soon,” I pointed out as I quickly brushed my hair before we joined the party.
“Yeah maybe.” He left the car and came round to the passenger side, opening my door like the true gentlemen he was. I paused as I saw the red-eyed man watching me from afar. “Alara? Are you okay?” Atlas asked. I blinked slowly, he had vanished. I nodded as I took his hand as he helped me down from his jeep.
“Do your eyes only go red after you’ve had blood?” I asked, curious as to why this man’s eyes were always red.
“What? Why are you asking me that?” Atlas stopped, turning me to face him. I shrugged.
“No, they only turn red in certain cases, sometimes after drinking fresh blood from a vein, or sometimes from strong emotions, such as anger.” He explained, still looking confused by my question.
“Hm, okay.” His answer didn’t reassure me, in fact I was now concerned with which vein he was taking blood from all the time. I looked all around but couldn’t see him, and decided I must be seeing things.
We joined the party and I was attacked by hugs from my friends. “You look sexy!” Sophie laughed.
“Thanks Soph! But look at you, that dress is beautiful!” I smiled, hugging her as I admired her black, floor-length dress. I handed her the present I had brought with me. She opened it and gasped.
“It’s perfect, thank you Alara!” she squealed, slipping the silver bracelet onto her wrist.
“You’re welcome, now let’s go dance!”
Atlas watched us from afar, stood talking to my brothers Finn and Kai who had unsurprisingly managed to get an invite to Sophie’s party. As our territory was rather small there weren’t often big parties. So, the twins would somehow find an excuse to attend them all. My friends and I danced, twirling each other around. “Alara, do you want a drink?” Sage winked, pointing towards the table with all of the drinks on. “Some of the boys brought alcohol.”
“My parents would kill me if they knew they snuck it in,” Sophie laughed.
“I’m not sure, doesn’t it taste gross?” I had never really had alcohol before.
“Come on Alara, it’ll be fun!” Kiara said, looping her arm in mine as we walked towards the table.
Sage poured me a drink and handed it to me. I took a sip and squinted my eyes at the burning sensation. “It burns,” I squeaked. Sage giggled and lifted my glass up to encourage me to try some more.
“Absolutely not.” Atlas appeared, he took the glass from my hands and tasted it. He frowned at me when he confirmed it was alcoholic.
“Aw you’re no fun, let her live!” Kiara shouted above the music.
Atlas ignored her, pouring the drink away. I was secretly pleased as it tasted foul. “Come on guys, let’s carry on dancing,” I said, changing the subject. I glanced over my shoulder at Atlas as we walked away. All of the girls, and some of the guys were gawking at him. Some seemed to know he was a prince as they awkwardly bowed in front of him. He lifted his hand as if to say he was busy. I chuckled as he ignored them.
After a couple more songs I left to use the bathroom. After I was done, I walked out only to see one of Sophie’s brother’s friends. He was only a couple of years older than us. “Hey, Alara right?” He slurred, clearly intoxicated. The corridor was empty as everybody was in the main room enjoying the party.
“Yep,” I smiled politely, before brushing past him.
“Hang on a minute, I just wanted to chat,” he grabbed my wrist.
“Yes?” I asked, annoyed at his behaviour.
“You’re so pretty, how come I’ve never noticed before now?” he said, as I felt his hand snake towards my lower back.
I pulled away. “Okay you’re drunk and I’m not interested, I’m leaving now.”
He suddenly stepped forward and grabbed my face, drunkenly leaning forward to kiss me. “But you’re so hot.”
“What the fuck, don’t touch me!” I shouted, pushing him away. Before I could react further Atlas was by my side. He punched him square in the face and flung him against the wall. I winced as I heard bones break.
“If you ever lay your hands on her again, I will kill you. She is the fucking princess arsehole.” Atlas glowered. He whimpered against Atlas’ glare, before running away.
Atlas took my hand and walked us back into the main room. “Are you okay?” he asked worriedly.
“I’m fine, thank you for coming when you did.” I smiled, straightening my dress out.
“I should have come sooner, but it sounded like you were handling it okay.” He moved some of my hair out of my face. “I didn’t really expect to fight off teenage boys when your father hired me, but I’m happy to for you Princess.” He laughed gently as he looked into my eyes.
“Alara? What’s going on?” Jasper questioned, suddenly appearing to my left and looking rather annoyed at the scene in front of him.