Chapter 6

The rest of the week flew by, with Atlas stuck to my side like superglue. The only time he wasn’t was during school, though he had asked my teachers to keep a close eye on me. Jasper and his friends had started sitting with us at lunch time, I enjoyed the recent expansion of our group...and of course, seeing Jasper more. My brothers and father were still not back from wherever they had gone, though this wasn’t unusual.
I decided it wasn’t worth the trouble trying to sneak out, so instead Jasper had agreed to come over to the palace today. I was waiting anxiously at the top of the stairs, watching out the large window above the front door. I didn’t think the guards would let him through the front gate, even if I told them I was expecting somebody. I groaned as I saw Atlas stroll down our shared corridor. “Good morning, Princess,” he winked. He stopped next to me, leaning against the white banister. “Who are we waiting for?”
“Jasper is coming over.”
“No he’s not. You know you aren’t allowed boys in your room.”
“Why do you care? It’s just Jasper.”
As if on cue, I saw his silver Audi pull up in front of the gates. I flew down the stairs and out of the door to let him in. Atlas was waiting for us once we walked in through the front door. “Jason, I’m afraid Alara is rather busy today. Thanks for coming though.” Atlas lied.
“Just ignore him, Jasper.” I said, enunciating his name. I grabbed his hand and waited for Atlas to move. Instead, he just stood at the bottom step. It was clear he wasn’t going to move. I let go of Jasper’s hand to try and push Atlas out of the way. He grabbed my wrist before I could make contact.
“Watch yourself Alara.” He warned, his eyes narrowing.
I stood my ground, staring back at him. My heart started thumping and I was sure he heard it with the smirk on his face.
“Ahem,” Jasper coughed awkwardly as Atlas dropped my arm. “Maybe I should leave?” He suggested.
“Yes.”
“No!” I took Jasper’s hand again and stormed into the kitchen. I grabbed him a glass of blood, knowing vampires would rather blood over any other drink. I tried to calm down, Atlas was just so infuriating.
“I’m sorry about that.” I apologised, smiling up at Jasper.
He wrapped his arms around me. “It’s okay, he seems overbearing.”
We watched a movie in the main living room so that Atlas didn’t complain. Madeline walked in just as the movie finished. “Does Dad know you have a boy over?” She asked, turning her nose up at us.
“Atlas knows.” I replied, scowling at my sister.
“Where is he?” She asked, just as Atlas appeared. I’m certain he sighed when he saw her. “Oh perfect, Atlas can you drive me into town? I need to get my nails done.” She asked, batting her stupidly long eyelashes.
“I have to stay with Alara, I can get one of the guards to take you?” He offered.
“Oh it’s okay, I don’t think Daddy would be happy if he heard you let my sister go alone,” I jumped up. “Jasper and I will be safe here.” I smiled sweetly, knowing my sister wouldn’t leave Atlas alone until he gave in.
“Perfect! Please Atlas?” She begged.
Atlas glared at me before running his fingers through his midnight black hair. “Fine, but they’re coming with us. I’m not getting in trouble for leaving her again.”
I groaned as Maddy clasped her hands together. “Great! Come on Alara!” She snapped, leading the way. Jasper and I trailed behind them.
“I’m sorry,” I mouthed.
“It’s okay,” he whispered back, holding my hand.
I climbed in the back next to Jasper, Maddy sat in the front. “Where do you want to go?” Atlas asked my sister.
“To the mall is fine, Alara can get her nails done with me. It’s about time she started looking more ladylike. You are a princess after all,” Maddy said, directing the final part towards me. Jasper and I talked the rest of the journey, whilst the front of the car stayed awkwardly silent. Every time I looked towards the front, Atlas was watching me in the mirror.
Instead of going straight to the nail salon like we expected, Maddy dragged us around half of the shops with her. Jasper and I were having fun messing around, trying different hats on. Atlas kept finding an excuse to keep us separated. “Oh Atlas, leave them alone, they’re only babies,” Maddy laughed, though there was a flash of jealousy on her face. She dragged him away, but I knew he wouldn't be far.
“Can I have this one please?” I asked the lady doing my nails. I handed her a bottle of light blue. Maddy tutted disapprovingly but didn’t make a comment like I expected. She chose her usual shade, nude. The boys were seated near the window, they looked bored out of their minds. I couldn’t blame them. As we were paying I heard a scream coming from the middle of the mall. I ran out of the shop to see what was going on. I walked towards the railing and looked down to see a human girl scrambling away from two vampires.
“What is a human doing here?” Atlas mused next to me. Jasper and Maddy were right behind him.
“We have to help her,” I said as I ran towards the staircase. Humans shouldn’t cross our borders, occasionally they do, and it never ends well for them. We agreed not to harm any humans in the neighbourhood closest to us, and they complied to handing over their blood to us every quarter. However, there was a grey area when they entered our territory uninvited.
Atlas and his stupid super speed stopped me before I could get down the stairs. “Alara, listen to me. You’re the princess. You cannot get involved in human politics.” He put his hands on my shoulders. I winced as she screamed again. “I will help her, but you need to wait at my car with your sister and boyfriend.” He said, more gently this time.
I nodded slowly. She looked so young, she can’t have been any older than me. I hated seeing somebody helpless get hurt. The three of us walked back to the car in silence, Jasper had his arms around me. “It won’t bother you once you’ve turned Alara,” Maddy said, trying to sympathise with me.
“She sounded so scared,” I replied, shuddering at her screams.
“She’ll be okay, Atlas went to stop them.” Jasper reaffirmed. We waited outside the jeep as we realised Atlas still had the keys. He soon appeared, unlocking the car so we could get in.
“Let’s go home,” he said, starting the engine. He tilted his head as he looked at me, as if to as