Chapter 1 - We Meet Again

"Nothing's gone forever, only out of place"
-Mary Poppins

I arose quickly out of bed in a bolt. I checked my phone and it was 9:00am. Shit! I was late! I jumped out of bed struggling to get my blankets off me -it was cold last night-.

I ran to my closet and picked out my work outfit I picked the night before. Good thinking Aurora. I had no time for hair and makeup, but I quickly brushed out my hair and put it in a bun. I did a tiny bit of blush then slipped my heels on tripping on the way out.

I quickly grabbed my house keys and car keys off the rack then ran to my car, outfit still messy. My heels clicked on the gravel as I sped not trying not to trip again.

I turned on my car and sped out of there. My boss is gonna be furious! This isn't like me!

I parked in my parking spot -I paid for, for the rest of the year- and ran to my office. I was fixing my blazer and not watching where I was going. I bumped into someone's back.

"Watch it asshole!" I yelled not even sparing them a look. I was already having a bad day. I rushed to the elevator and pressed level 5. I checked my watch multiple times while the elevator kept moving, very, very, slowly.

I finally scurried out and my boss was there with a mad expression. "Sir I'm terribly sorry!" I waved my hand in apology. He looked mad. "Better late than never," he shrugged and left. I exhaled and walked calmly to my office. I shut the door and began working on papers and assignments.

I was working quietly, calmly, and unbothered, until Stacey walked in. I glared at her with with a passion. "Hey Mark!" She greeted our coworker with a screechy voice. I know I was an adult but I hated her like how a teenager hated their biology teacher.

Why was her voice so screeched and high pitched? She flirted with all our male coworkers. Even our boss. It disgusts me to a different level.

She catches me glaring at her and she makes her way to my desk. "Got a problem?" She asked kindly, but we all know it's fake. My left eyebrows furrowed down as I looked at her.

"Yeah I do," I sweetly smiled. She look intrigued. "Get your hands off my desk," I told her as my smile instantly dropped. She frowned at me and drew her hands off.

"Just wanted you to know a new colleague is here. He's male so, watch it," She said and walked out swaying her hips. I rolled my eyes. She is so possessive and protective. But the new colleague made me interested. That didn't matter though.

Another long day of work was finished. I had thought about that figure I bumped into earlier and wanted to apologize to them.

I packed all my belongings and headed out to find him. I couldn't find him and I had been searching for 10 minutes. I looked for him in elevators, staircases, offices, all the above. I decided to just go home and rest.

But as I walked out to the front doors I saw the figure. He was tall, muscular, and good looking. He looked like he worked out often. He was definitely my type. But no distractions this year.

I just now seemed nervous to talk to him? Why was I nervous? I don't even know him. Even if it was 5:00pm it was broad daylight out there.

I walked closer to him and tapped him on his strong shoulder. "Hey I'm sorry for bumping into you earlier, I was just late for work and-" The tall man turned around and faced me. "Rory?" His eyes went into shock. So did mine. My mind went blank, my head span, my heart pounded. Alex.

"What- what are you doing here?" I stammered. I felt weak and numb. He can't be here, not now, not ever. I soon felt anger. Did he track me down? What is he doing here?!

His gaze softened on mine. "How have you been?" He smiled sweetly. Is he serious? He is just gonna "catch up" with me after all this. I won't take any of his bullshit.

"You aren't supposed to be here," my voice cracked as I pushed past him. Although, he followed me.

"What do you mean?" He seemed genuinely confused and anxious. But I didn't have a care in the world about how he was feeling. Why is he here? What does he want?

"You will ruin everything." I mumbled but loud enough so he can hear. He gave me a weird look.

"How?" His voice sorta sounded sad?

I wanted to feel a bit bad but I couldn't. I just grew a strong hatred towards him. I turned back around and walked towards him. "I have a stable job, good house, good money, and good thoughts," I listed each on my fingers. "I don't want you messing anything up," I said.

"Good thoughts? What does that mean?" He asked walking closer. I forgot he knew about my ED and my bad thoughts about it. But I got a doctor and I'm good now.

"It's non of your business. Now run along and don't bother me again." I shooed him off and walked in the opposite direction. He follows again.

"We haven't spoke since you left for college." He spiked up another conversation that I did not want to have. I didn't answer as I kept walking

"Rory we haven't spoke in years!" He shouted behind me. He needed to get away from me. I turned around. "Good! I need that to stay in the last so it will not ruin my future!" I yelled back. I turned back around and clamped my heels walking to my house.

"Well you'll see my everyday because I work here now," he said. I never felt so much anger towards anyone until now.

"You stubborn asshole!" I threw my book at him -hated that book anyways- and just glared at him. Can he just leave? Why did he come to New York? Why not California or Wisconsin? Why here.

"Stay in your life and stay out of mine," I grabbed my purse and threw it over my shoulder. "For good," I told him and walked back home.