WARMTH IN SADNESS

🥀

"That's good. I'm glad you took that step." Sahar appreciated her sister through the video call and Sarah smiled nodding quietly.

Hand under her chin, her mind replayed the morning in fast forward and her smile grew just slightly. It was true when they say, if you take the first step in helping someone, help will find you in your time of need too. She forgot her wallet, and still came home with a bag full.

But more than that she found a very new kind of feeling, a kind of peace, she hadn't really known before. She felt happy when Hina hugged her, grateful for her help. But it wasn't the same kind of happiness that came from getting a new pair of shoes or a new makeup palette. Not even after buying a new lipstick, and Sarah loved lipsticks.

It was soo different. It made her feel warm and fuzzy all over.

For the first time in her life perhaps she understood the happiness of being needed. Someone depended on her, needed her for something, for the first time ever perhaps she wasn't the dependant. Be it for emotional strength or anything else. She'd never been the helper.

"Hmm..." She smiled. It wasn't that she wasn't talkative but when feelings get too overwhelming, words often feel not enough. Sarah was sure her sister would understand her 'Hmms' better than any words.

"Or agar tum naa jati toh Mr. Baker boy se bhi nhi mil paati." Sahar smirked and Sarah's smile evaporated as she straightened up clearing her throat.

"Ach.. ab aysi bhi koi baat nhi hai Bajjo. Uss se milna koi itna highlight karne wala moment nhi hai—"

"Areyy, aisay kaisay?!! Highlight karney wala moment toh haii!" Sahar teased, laughing lightly.

"Bajjo! Aysi awaaz bana kar bolne se aap Jab We Met ki Geet nhi lag ne lagti. Apni awaaz main baat karo." Pinching the bridge of her nose, Sarah retorted.

"Meri choro. Apni bataou. Kuch kuch huaaa?" She tilted her head wiggling her brows.

"Mushkil se pandraa minute bhi baat nhi hui humarii!" Sarah rolled her eyes.

"But usne phir bhi tumheyn free muffins de diye—"

"He was being nice." She added dryly.

Sahar wasn't ready to accept that, "To youu! And whyy?? Huh? Huh??" A grin spread across her face as she asked and Sarah stared at without emotions before sighing, "Bajjo...."

"Hmmm???" Sahar sang.

"Bss karden, cheap lag raha hai.." she said and Sahar's excitement dropped

"Sadhu!" Sahar stuck her tongue out and Sarah swiped a hand over her face.

"Waisay cute tha?" She teased and Sarah groaned.

"Bajjoo yarrrr!"

"Achhaa! Sorryy!" Sahar laughed.

Sarah huffed pretending to seem too irritated to talk but when Sahar kept looking at her with a smile she gave up.

"Fazool main tang karti hain aap." She complained but was already smiling, "Apni batayen.. Ali bhai Pakistan aa rahay hain?" She asked, diverting the conversation away from herself, finally.

"Haan.." Sahar nodded, gaze lowering as an involuntary shyness took over her features, "Next week."

"Ohoo!" It was Sarah's turn to smirk and tease, "Blushyy blushyy!"

Sahar pushed a strand of hair behind her burning ears and mumbled, "Shut up."

"Phirr??" Sarah grinned, asking curiously.