chapter two; the blue

"you came out of the blue like that, i never would have seen you coming, i think you're everything i've wanted." - gracie abrams, the blue.

I WAS SHAKING as Leah and I walked into the casting studio. I was terrified, to say the least. Sure, I'd done many auditions before, and many call backs. But the audition processes for the baby sitters club, the black phone, the pearl in the ice and the marauders was less stressful because there wasn't much riding on them. The part of Annabeth had everything. My sister's memory, my childhood and my pride. Everything that meant anything to me.

"Are you good?" Leah asked, awakening me from my lapse in concentration. Her perfect face was free of any sign of nerves, which was fair because all she had to do was walk in there and say that she was no longer in the running for the part. I had to walk in there, have a 9/10 chance of getting rejected or possibly gain the role of my life. No pressure.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I smiled, pulling at the ends of my hair. I wasn't fine. I was petrified. Leah gave me a knowing look as we pushed open the doors leading into the meeting room. There were eight other girls in there, all of various appearances but all around our age. Leah gave me an encouraging smile as she went and found the casting director to tell him her news.

"Great! You're all here." An older woman stepped forward, who I recognised as Denise Chamian. "We have many things to get through today. Our first set of chemistry reads, narrowing down on contendants, the whole shebang. First of all, I thought I might introduce you to our Percy Jackson."

I cracked my knuckles nervously, as I looked over to the double doors Leah and I walked through a couple minutes ago, waiting for the person who could possibly be playing my love interest for the next 5 or so years.

My jaw almost broke when little Walker Scobell walked through them. Except, he wasn't so little anymore.

He looked... good.

Walker adorned a cheery, upbeat smile, running his gaze over the line of girls competing for Annabeth. His step faltered a little when his gaze landed on me. His eyes burned my skin with fiery intensity, and all I could think to do was give him a shy smile, which he returned instantly.

"Hi, everyone. Nice to meet you all." He spoke.

"Didn't you date him?" The tall Latina girl I was standing. Beside leaned down to whisper in my ear. I jerked away in shock, turning to look at her. She was very pretty.

"No, I barely know him. He's a friend of a friend." I clarified, shifting my gaze back to Walker. Only to find him already looking.

I got a funny feeling in my stomach, one that I hadn't really felt before. I'd thought a lot about my limited interactions with Walker over the last year. He was a sweet kid, very kind with a great sense of humour. But I always got a feeling there was something deeper, something that was hiding beneath the surface. Now that he'd... come into his own, I could almost see it. It shone through him like a radiant light, positive and gentle.

"Now, chemistry reads! My favourite part. Julianna, Olive and Gigi your first up. I'll come back and get the rest of you when it's your turn." Denise instructed, leading the other girls away.

——

About an hour later, Denise came back to get me. she'd taken the first three girls, then the other two, leaving me by myself. i wasn't sure whether that was a good sign.