chapter seventeen; the lakes

"im not cut out for all these cynical clones, these hunters with cell phones." the lakes ; taylor swift

"FUCK MY LIFE." I murmured under my breath as I turned slightly, catching the paparazzi out of the corner of my eye. "Stalkerish, much?"

Walker sighed, lowering his head in annoyance. We were stood in the middle of an open-street mall - if we tried to hide, there was no where to go. "What do we do?" He whispered, looking to me for answers. I'd had more experience with media chasers than him.

"We ignore them. If they ask questions, smile and keep walking." I instructed him. Walker gaped at me.

"We just ignore them?" He asked, reaffirming my advice. I nodded.

"Yes, Seaweed Brain. You ignore them." I told him, keeping a safe distance as I knew the paparazzi who were avidly clicking their cameras behind us were looking for something to happen. I turned around to glance at them, and that's when the screaming began.

"Maya! Maya!" They all vowed for my attention, yelling various questions at me from down the street. I cringed, turning back to the blonde boy stood before me.

"We can't ignore them. That's so mean." He reasoned, making me laugh. He was so incredibly sweet that it made me sick. Lovesick, that was.

"I promise, Walk, they're used to it. It's fine. We have to get around them, anyway. We'll be fine." I giggled to the boy, his hands shaking slightly from nerves. I could hear the group of reporters yelling both of our names.

Walker eventually gained the confidence to stroll past, or rather through, the paparazzis. We were side by side, heads down, hushed voices as we spoke. As they closed in on us, Walker grabbed my hand. The crowd. Went. Feral.

More questions about our relationship were thrown at us, suddenly personal space was nonexistent. The boy gripped my hand impossibly tighter, holding me close to him as we kept walking. We just needed to make it around the corner, and we could escape them.

"Walker! Maya! Are you two dating?"
"Maya, how is Dylan?"
"How do you feel about the dating rumours?"
"Walker! Are you glad to be finally with your celebrity crush?" That one made Walker laugh.
"Maya, are you in a relationship currently?"
"Maya, do you have a statement to make about the recent rumours around the death of your sister?"

My step faltered at that last one. Walker stopped as well. A million thoughts raced through me my head. They couldn't possibly know. No one could know. What could they know?

"Excuse me?" I said to the woman behind the camera. She paused, obviously shocked that I was speaking to her, before responding.

"The rumours circulating about your sisters death. Have you got anything to say regarding the situation?" She clarified, and I was still rooted to the spot. Walker wrapped his arm around my waist, trying to pull me away from them, but it just made the reporters more excited.

"I have no statement at this time." I bluntly replied, before going on my way. Walker and I narrowly escaped around the corner into a crowd of people.

When we finally got away, all I could think about was what she asked me. The rumours about my sister? What? What was she talking about?

"Hey, are you okay? What was that about?" Walker eventually asked me, after we knew we were definitely far enough away from them.

I nodded stiffly. "Yeah, I'm fine. They've just never asked about Marina before." To be honest, I was shook. People knew my sister was dead - it was open access to the public, there was nothing I could do about that. But never ever had anything about her death been asked. And now, there were rumours?