CHAPTER FORTY ONE

ISABELLE

"Are you sure you're, ok?" Ash had asked me this question at least half a dozen times this morning.

I replied with the same thing each time. "Yes, I am ok." I really was. "You go and have fun."

It was the first time Ashton was going away for the weekend, and I was 38 weeks pregnant. I was looking forward to having a quiet weekend, and just enjoying the time alone before our little baby was here.

"I don't have to go, I can cancel." He assured, sounding as confident as ever.

Laughing, I made my way over to where he stood in the garden as he watered the plants. "I think you should go to the football, who knows when you will get this chance again. You were given the tickets, and you know I'd be coming with you in a heartbeat if I could. I just can't fly."

He frowned, flicking the hose off. "I don't think I want to go. It's not really a smart move if I left you here and you went into labour."

"I have your parents here, and mums here too. You're only a phone call away."

"And a three-hour flight." He pointed out.

I knew that, but I didn't want to remind him. I looked around our garden, where the veggie plants had been planted over the week and ash was watering them like his pride and joy. Making my way around the yard, it was bigger than our last one, the pool area had a hot tub, and I couldn't wait until I was able to sink in and relax. Baths were too awkward now, and I tried to swim each evening before bed, but I was more so floating than anything.

Pointing over to the large grassy area, I smiled. "You'll be able to build swings and a sandpit here someday." I smiled.

I felt his arms snaking around from behind me and he nestled in. "I'm sure we will have plenty of days out here playing around."

"You need to leave; you'll miss your flight." I reminded. "Parker will be ready soon."

Parker hadn't moved out, and as much as I loved him here, it will be nice to have our home back to ourselves. But he was here until he needed to be. The house was large enough that we had our space and the little flat at the back of the house was finally set up for mum, who was still staying as I didn't want her leaving just yet and I don't think she wanted to go either.

I heard his groan as he pulled away, "I'm ready, everything is packed up. I'm just waiting to leave."

Why did that make me sad? It will be our first weekend away in a long time. I knew he was only going away to watch his AFL team play, and it really didn't both me. I was just going to miss him.

"Alright, are you ready?" Parker called out.

"Sure am. I'll drive." Ash winked and I knew Parker had already had a few. He held his arms back out and smiled. "Alright,make sure you keep the plants watered, now come give daddy some love."

"Only if I have to." I faked annoyance but threw my arms around him and held on tightly. I didn't want to let go. "I'll see you in two days. Have a lot of fun."

Waving the men off, I made my way back inside the house and locked the door behind. I was going to go and visit mum, but she was resting, and she needed that more than anything. Rach was seeing someone new, and I didn't want to go and bother her. I went to make my way to the bedroom, when there was a knock on the door.

Ash must have forgotten something. I rolled my eyes and laughed, opening the door. "What did you forget?" I asked laughing. But when I opened it, there was nobody there. I frowned, that's weird.

Was I paranoid and imagining things? Surely not.

"Hello?" I called out and was met with silence. I felt a shiver run down my spine and I became uneasy. I closed the door and locked it.