CHAPTER FIVE

ASHTON.

"Don't you think it's a bit early to be drinking?"

I didn't need to look up knowing it was Parker, he'd let himself inside like any other time. Once I had the next from him, I knew something was up.

I just shrugged, stretching both legs out as I muted the recorded game of football that I had been watching. "Not at all." And then I reached for my second beer.

He reached over, taking the uncapped bottle and brought it to his lips. "So we're just going to drink the day away then? Not bothering with work?"

"I have men who can handle cementing a slab." I pointed out. "Which bring me to my own question, why aren't you working? I won't pay you for drinking."

He broke out into a grin. "Yes you will. I've been to the site, making sure the slab is being done right." The smile faded, and his tone grew serious. "I heard about your fight."

That surprised me. "You've spoken to her?"

"Yes." He began. "I need to tell you something, without you flipping out."

"You fucked her." I felt the rate of my heart increase, even though we were like brothers, I still wouldn't put it past him. He'd fuck anything with legs.

His face scrunched, shaking his head. "Even if she begged I wouldn't touch her. She's off limits."

Least he knew that. "Well then what?"

He sat straighter, leaning with both hands on his knees. "She's stayed with me last night."

This I didn't see coming. "You're the friend she stayed with? You should have called."

I wanted to punch him. This day was going downhill quickly.

"Look, she called me crying. What the fuck was I meant to do? She has nowhere else to go. If you hadn't been such a dick then she would still be here, and you'd be at work." He pointed out.

I wondered just how much she had told him, and probably all of it. I didn't blame her, I had well and truly hurt her. "I know I fucked up. I don't need you to remind me." Pinching the bridge of my nose, I groaned frustrated. "How is she?"

"Honestly?" he asked, shaking his head before blowing out a deep breath. "She cried all night. I made her breakfast, but she went back to bed before I came here. I told her that I was."

I had only ever seen Belle cry twice in my life. She never cried at her fathers funeral. She cried at the end of prison break, when Michael died.

The second time, was last night.

It made me wonder just how often she's cried when I'm not around. "What did she tell you?"

"She's crushed that you put Jenna before her, and she gets why but bro, last night you should have put Jenna in her place. You basically told her whatever she wants doesn't matter." he said, and his works stung but I knew they were true.

"She does matter." I felt the need to point out. "Last night was the first time that I found out Jenna hates Belle, how am I meant to react? I'm fucking at a loss."

"Saying it and proving it, are two different things." He came back with. I wanted to tell him that now wasn't the time for a Dr Phil session. "When was the last time you left Jenna with your parents and done something with just the two of you?"

I frowned, opening my mouth to say when but the more I thought about it, the more I realised we hadn't gone anywhere like we used to in well over five years. Jenna always wanted to do things on weekends with me, and I would give in feeling bad because my weeks were so crazy. "We spend time together."