02, dress.

DRESS
❝ flashback when you met
me, your buzzcut and my
hair bleached.  ❞
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

THE HOB WAS filled even after hours.

Just a day ago, she would have just arrived at District 12 after visiting Wovey's parents. Lucky for her, she had parents who supported her decision and even went an extra step to accompany her on her journey. Charlotte felt like she needed this time away, even if it were just for a week. In a month, she would be leaving Panem to attend a university outside the country. She thought time away from the Capitol and experiencing life in the Districts were a good learning opportunity.

Charlotte was blinded by glamour her whole life. Only a day into her stay at 12 and she could already point out so many differences. From the way people dressed to their lifestyles. But that never stopped them from having fun.

She peeked her head through the door, getting a glimpse of the already full Hob. Lucy Gray and the Covey were tuning their instruments in the backrooms. Though Charlotte or Lucy Gray never had a solid conversation together, Lucy Gray was kind enough to invite her to the Hob with the Covey. 

Charlotte and Lucy Gray stumbled upon one another when Charlotte was walking amongst the meadows that surrounded her grandmother's cabin. She sat herself down on the grass, surrounded by lovely pink tulips when she heard a sound behind her. She turned around quickly, only to be met with a girl no older than ten sneaking up behind her. At first she was scared, but when the girl presented herself as 'Maude Ivory', Charlotte knew she was no threat.

She had heard that name before. Maude Ivory. It seemed so familiar, yet so distant. Maude Ivory continued to talk, saying some things about a 'Covey' when she said a name Charlotte was familiar with. Then Lucy Gray came into view, calling out Maude Ivory's name. A moments of silence came afterwards, both girls not knowing what to say to one another. Though eventually, both Lucy Gray and Charlotte apologized to one another, even if it wasn't really their fault. 

Charlotte could see why Coriolanus had taken an interest into Lucy Gray. Not only was she immensely talented, but the way she talked and presented herself was unique as well. Being friends with Lucy Gray was like taking a whiff of fresh air, something so rare in such a polluted city. That's what Lucy Gray was. She was rare.

"Hey, you okay?" Lucy Gray quipped from her side. Charlotte was startled for a minute, too lost in thought to even realize the brunette had come to her side.

"Yeah, don't worry 'bout me," Charlotte smiled. "Good luck out there."

"Just got to hope Billy Taupe don't make an appearance," Maude Ivory added.

"Billy Taupe?" Charlotte asked.

"My ex. Kind of psychotic, if you ask me." Lucy Gray shrugged and Charlotte couldn't help but chuckle. 

"'Kind of' is an understatement," another one pipped in. Charlotte wasn't too sure of her name. 

"Well, what's there to do other than hope and pray?" Lucy Gray sighed, picking up her instrument. She took one last gulp of water from her cup and gathered the rest of the Covey. "Time to shine!"

The Covey left the room one by one in a single line led by Maude Ivory. Lucy Gray lingered behind, only making her appearance once Maude Ivory announces her name. Charlotte could hear the crowds applause even from the back when Maude Ivory started to speak on stage. Some brief introductions later and Lucy Gray's name was mentioned, and she dragged Charlotte out the room along with her. Lucy Gray let go of Charlotte's hand when she climbed on stage, leaving Charlotte with the crowd. She managed to find a spot front and center, surrounded by a bunch of people in uniform.