six

"Hey." Two days later, Newt sits down next to him.

A lot has happened. He showed them around the city, Newt had an outburst toward Thomas, they made a plan to save Minho from WCKD, and now he's sitting on the balcony while the others get dressed in their uniforms.

"Hi."

"You alright?"

"Fine," he says. "You?"

"Feeling a tad cranky."

He can't laugh at it. Val used to be frightened of the stung people, who also look like Cranks. And neither can he laugh because since the Gladers reunited with him, his grief over her has gotten worse.

"It must've been tough," Newt starts. "All these months alone."

"I survived," he says. "It was fine."

"Gally. No offense, but you look awful. Have you caught any sleep these days at all?"

"Offense taken."

Newt remains silent for a few seconds. Looks at the city in front of them. "She would've been proud of you," he then says.

"Whatever."

Nothing here is whatever, but... whatever.

"You're strong for holding up," Newt adds. "I mean it. And you'll make it through."

"I suppose making it through doesn't take seven shucking months."

"Grief never leaves you," he says softly. "I'll help you. Then you can go to the Safe Haven. Chuck's already there, you know?"

He hums. They're silent again. Then, "Does he miss her?"

"A lot. Cried in my arms quite a few times. But he survived, too. And so will you," Newt assures.

He mutters a thank you. That's all he can manage.

"You guys coming? We're leaving."