Chapter 3

As I had changed, wearing combat trousers and a tight shirt with boots, Soap was leaning against the wall next to the door. I had put my long hair in a high, tight braid for the training as I didn't know what awaited me there. "Finally ready, sugar? "He asked with his Scottish accent. I narrowed my eyebrows but kept quiet. I can't ruin this chance of normality for me. No matter what.

"No threatening? You learn fast, sugar. "I wanted to smack that mischief out of his face. With my fists. In his face. But I knew better. I kept quiet as I nodded at him to start walking. He walked next to me, close enough that my shoulder would touch his if I didn't take a step aside - which I did without thinking. "Sassy and confident. "Soap said with a smirk. I looked at the floor before me but could feel his gaze. "What are your strengths? "He asked after a few seconds.

"Open Combat, interrogation and strategy planning. "I answered. He nodded as he looked at the floor before us momentarily as we walked. "That makes a pretty good addition to our team - If that's true. "The smirk on his face made my blood boil again. If that's true... He can wish that he never has to spar against me because I will not hold back until I wipe that smirk from his face so that he doesn't constantly remind me of my past.

"Believe it or not, that's not my problem. "I said. I followed him as he turned to the right. The next moment, we entered a big hall. Dimmed lights over our heads lead us to the middle of the hall, where two men stood. One seemed friendly, at least next to the other, who was a bit taller and had a skull baklava to hide his face. Not that it scared me, I really couldn't care less, but he had something... cold in his standing and gazing at me. I was intrigued by him.

"Autumn "Breakpoint "Burton, I assume. "He said. His voice was deep and rough and, at a minimum, absorbed by his mask. "You're correct. "I answered. "Good. I have the *honour* of seeing how good you are today. I'm Ghost. Run 30 laps. "He was sarcastic - and I hated it. Together with his mask and trained statue, I hated everything about him - a great start in this Unit. I already didn't like two of these four men.

I ran. 30 laps was nothing for me, not with my gear and especially not without it. The only thing that annoyed me was that I didn't have my headphones. Lap after lap, I felt the gaze of Ghost on me; occasionally, I could see it in the corner of my eyes. It triggered me; he triggered me like Scott did - but with fewer words. I still can't separate the past from the present. They talked with the other man, but I could never hear them.

After the 30 laps, I stopped in front of Ghost, the friendly-looking- and the Soap. The man with the skull mask didn't comment on the run I did because he could see that it didn't bother me. "We do a quick sparring session, then I'll report your training to Price." Ghost said with the same deep voice as before. "Gaz, do me the favor." He added, and the friendly-looking man nodded as he stepped forward.

Here? In the middle of the hall? If they insisted... I positioned myself. Steady, one foot slightly back, not showing him my entire front side. Gaz did it similarly. He was fast to attack me, but I easily dodged his kick. After his third attempt, I was sure he didn't even try. So what was going on? Why would he-

Hands laid around my throat from behind as my back was pressed against a chest. "Gotcha." Flashbacks flooded my mind and blurred my sight as I lost control. No, please, not again.