Chapter 9

I was conflicted. I didn't want to go to the medics so that the Task Force, especially Colonel König, would know that I was hurt and weak. A bitter taste spread in my mouth as I thought that. But I needed to get it checked. I couldn't risk being unimportant here. To not go on missions because of something like a ripped nerve. They probably would laugh at me, and if I hated one thing the most, then it was that. For fuck's sake. I had no other choice. I groaned silently and walked out of the training hall.

No sign told me where to walk to the medic bay, so I breathed in and walked through the hall, looking at each side's doors. The hallway was empty, and I followed my gut feeling until I finally saw the sign of the medical bay.

I breathed shallowly and ignored the stinging pain in my chest. Walking into the entrance, I walked past the empty desk and through the open door to the ward. Every military medical bay had the same setup. I walked on, looking for where to find either staff or something that would help me stop this stinging pain. Every moment with that pain made me more furious at myself - and the Colonel.

Hearing someone's voice, I walked towards it. "You're good to go, König. Your foot is healed well. In a few days, you shouldn't feel any pain anymore." Please no. As soon as I walked around the corner, I wished I didn't do it.

Colonel König stood before one of the medics, a man seemingly not much older than I was—maybe two or three years. He was a few inches shorter than König. He patted the Colonel on the shoulder in a friendly manner, and Colonel König turned around and nodded at the medic's words, only to look down at me the next second.

His foot, which they were talking about? It's most likely the one he put on my chest. A bitter feeling filled my mouth. Cursing words formed in my head, but I kept quiet. He was the last person I wanted to see right now. And yet, he was the person who stood in front of me.

"Seargent. "His voice was cold like ice. It's kind of like Ghost but with an Austrian accent. "Colonel, "I replied drily as he walked past me without another look. Did he have the attitude because I tried to pull off his mask? What is wrong with this man? "Seargent Breakpoint, it's nice to finally meet the ‚unwanted Soldier' everyone is talking about. How can I help you?"

I looked at the door where the Colonel had walked out. My eyebrows were narrowed. Why did I even do that? I was looking after him. Am I entirely stupid? I turned around, meeting the friendly gaze of the medic in his uniform. His eyes were brown—not like chocolate or mud, not light like honey in the room's light, just brown.

"I had an incident at training today. I want someone to check it out." I said. "Mind to explain? "He asked as he pointed to one of the sickbeds behind me. I sat down on one of them and clenched my jaw before answering. "Someone set his foot on my chest to pin me to the ground. I felt something like a stabbing pain in my chest as the pressure increased. I tried to train after that, but the pain was intense, and I wanted to exclude any significant injuries. "

I felt uncomfortable. The medic's scanning my body with his gaze. I pulled myself together even tho I felt my heart beat in panic as I remembered that he probably had to touch me to examine the pain. My anger at Colonel König for bringing me into this position in the first place increased.

The medic asked me a few questions about the situation and asked if I could move to different positions. "Can you remove your shirt for me? If it is a nerve, we could see something under your skin. You said you felt it in your upper chest and the left ribs. "I slowly nodded, opening the zipper of my training shirt. My fingers were trembling as I looked down on it. He would see me in a few seconds. Standing before him in the bra I was wearing. I felt beyond uncomfortable. I felt panic in my chest and a feeling I never wanted to feel again - fear in its purest form.

Within a moment, I pulled the zipper up again and looked at the medic. He looked confused. "You know what? It's not that bad. I probably overreacted." My voice was stern, nearly angry. Because I was angry at myself, I know I didn't overreact, but I couldn't get myself to do this checkup. I just couldn't. Something in me couldn't.

I took a step back, then another, before turning around. My cheeks were turning red. "Bye," I said fast. "Autumn, wait—" I didn't wait, turn around again, or stay still. I walked around the corner where I came from, and I walked through the door of the medic bay.