PROLOGUE

From the desk of Lady Whistledown

Dearest gentle readers,

This story truly begins long before a single thread of gold tied Betty Morrigan to Benedict Bridgerton, long before their debut into London's high society, and long before their families became entwined in a deep and rich, loving history as the prolific townspeople they were known as today. Our story truly begins when Viscount Edmund Bridgerton and Francis Morrigan, the Duke of Somerset, were just little boys, growing up next door each other. The Morrigans and Bridgertons shared a deep bond and long history together as the Duke was just a teenager when his father passed away, leaving his dukedom and a multitude of estates that just so happened to be next door to the Bridgertons.

Growing up as an only child, the Duke treated Edmund as if he were his own brother because that's what it had always truly felt like. To the surrounding Ton, they were brothers, even if they didn't share the same blood. They were extremely close, and would remain that way well into their adult years. The Duke and Viscount would eventually go on to find their wives during their first season. The Duchess of Somerset, Rebekah Morrigan, was the loudest woman London had ever seen. She was a stone cold, ruthless woman. She always told it how it was and was never afraid to be brutally honest, no matter how hurtful the truth may be.

Through whit, charm, and a perfect smile, the Duke charmed his way into Rebekah's heart, melting away at her icy interior. Over time, her cold exterior started to soften and she began to grow a soft spot for the Bridgertons. Her and Violet became the best of friends and would have tea and afternoon strolls around town daily. They would plan out their lives and dream about raising their children together.

Eventually, children were being born left and right. The Morrigans and Bridgertons both had their hands full as children were brought into the world (at a rather alarming rate). Violet Bridgerton gave birth to her first son, Anthony, and soon after, she and Rebekah fell pregnant at the same time. Violet gave birth to her second son, Benedict, and four days later, Rebekah gave birth to her first daughter, Betty. Then Violet had her third son, Colin while Rebekah had her first, James. Next came Daphne and Eloise Bridgerton, and a few months later, Inez Morrigan. And finally, Francesca, George, and little baby Hyacinth Bridgerton. Between the two families, it truly was a mad house!

Betty, being only four days younger, grew to be extremely close to Benedict. They were each others dearest friends, after all. From the day they could start crawling, Benedict and Betty were inseparable. It was as if an invisible string was bound to their wrists, always keeping them just a simple tug away.

Benedict would grow up to rely on that bond... Unfortunately, one fateful spring afternoon a few weeks before Betty and Benedict's debut into society, when Edmund and Anthony Bridgerton were returning to Aubrey Hall from their hunt, Edmund had been stung by a bee. One moment Betty and Benedict were sitting and watching the trees, how they sway in a warming breeze. The next, they watched as Edmund fell to the ground as a simple creature forced him down in the matter of mere seconds just a few weeks before little baby Hyacinth's anticipated arrival. He was gone before Benedict and Betty could even stand from their favorite spot outside underneath the big oak tree between their country homes.

The Morrigans became a rock for the Bridgertons, solidifying the knots on that invisible string that seemed to be tethered between them. They entered the 1803 season together where Betty was coined that season's Incomparable, the first of its time. She was absolutely flawless that day. Not a hair out of place, a dress beautifully designed by Grosvenor Square's favorite modiste, and the brightest jewels feathered throughout hair and bodice. "There is no one here incomparable to you, my dear..." the Queen had said, lifting Betty's chin to avert her gaze to the Queen smiling back at her. The ladies of the ton have been chasing the coveted title ever since.

Of course, the season wasn't all diamonds and rubies for Betty Morrigan. No, for Betty, it was heart wrenching and soul crushing, so much so that she left London. She left everyone behind to stay with distant family in Holland so that she may recover from the shock and scandal of the 1803 social season. And although Benedict tried sent countless letters over the years trying to reach her, she never seemed to grab a pen and write back.

So saddle up, dear reader, because this story is one of love, heartbreak, and always finding your way back home. The spring of 1813 is quickly approaching and London is most certainly buzzing at the start of yet another social season starting. Households all throughout London are preparing for the upcoming season. Daughters have spent hours brushing up on their pianoforte and nitpicking the design of the modiste's dresses for their debut. Meanwhile, sons who bore no true responsibilities readied themselves by shacking up with their mistresses for one last night before an entire season of courting was upon them.

To this, I ask, have you placed your bets yet?

Lady Whistledown

ˏ⸉ˋ‿̩͙‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙ˊ⸊ˎ

Waterhouse, John William (1885)

Waterhouse, John William (1885). Good neighbours [oil on canvas]. Private collection.

ˏ⸉ˋ‿̩͙‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙ˊ⸊ˎ