CHAPTER SIX

London, England 1813

Dearest reader,

This author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems both of our diamonds require closer inspection. As such, an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and lustre has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson.

This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton and Miss Morrigan... for we all must know what the Queen despises more than anything... Being wrong.

Despite Lady Danbury's ball ending rather tragically and Betty not being seen talking or dancing to anyone all night long, well, she had expected this season to be off to a slow start. Rebekah Morrigan, however, had other plans and Betty was woken up the next morning, bright and early by her ladies maid at seven o'clock. Betty truly hated the morning. And so Betty reluctantly rolled out of her bed, Poppy waiting by the door with a fresh corset and dress in hand.

The Morrigan house was dry as a bone for the first official day of courting. The morning only seemed to drag on as just a few suitors showed up in hopes to steal this very precious jewel away. Rebekah was disappointed in her eldest daughter, to say the least. The family lounged around their formal sitting room after their rather dull morning. Betty sat on the sofa, sketching away a new piece. James sat with his father, engaged in a round of chess. Meanwhile, Inez sat at the pianoforte with Rebekah hovering over her shoulder, watching every single key.

Suddenly, the sound of the mailbox slot in their front door being opened caused everyone to stop what they were doing. In unison, they all turned towards their entryway, wondering what reason could be. Then, Poppy walked in, a batch of brand new Whistledown pamphlets in tow.

Inez inhaled sharply, darting from her spot on the piano bench. She ran to Poppy, snatching a copy for herself and one for her father. She handed one off to Francis before taking a seat next to her sister. Her eyes scanned over every line in the paper, devouring every single word. Ever since Whistledown started printing these gossip sheets, Inez had been hooked on trying to figure out her true identity, but any time she tried to focus on the language of the author, she just wound up focusing more on the gossip.

Francis read from his own, occasionally pausing to glance towards hs eldest daughter every time Lady Whistledown mentioned something new about her. Betty had caught his gaze three times, and by then, she had had enough. She huffed, setting her drawing utensils down in her lap. "What is it? We left the ball early, what on earth could she have possibly written about me this time?"

"I'm afraid just that, my darling." Francis replied, reluctantly handing the papers over so that she could read them for herself.

And the drawing rooms at the Bridgerton and Morrigan Households currently appear to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George. It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she has always desired, the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof. She must be overjoyed.